~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss

10 5

Limits in git?

Details
Message ID
<20220621194410.6b8dee9b0cd590b926a37bd8@posteo.net>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hi,

I see in [man pages](https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/#acceptable-resource-usage) that git service has a limit of 3.5GB of data. I have one repo with more size than that [another question is how to find in web UI the size of whole repo]. This is [this](https://git.sr.ht/~somenxavierb/activitats-idees-d-activitats). In this repo, I store several videos and images in order to teach my classes. I use "Fair use" and other copyright exceptions in order to use copyrighted material, which is only for pose questions and reflections to my students.

I wonder if I have to delete this repo or eventually it will be deleted by you.

Thanks in advance,
Xavier
Details
Message ID
<CKW011WEA91E.BMXXQ16JGVN0@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<20220621194410.6b8dee9b0cd590b926a37bd8@posteo.net> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> I see in [man
> pages](https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/#acceptable-resource-usage) that
> git service has a limit of 3.5GB of data. I have one repo with more
> size than that [another question is how to find in web UI the size of
> whole repo].

Just run du -h or something similar against your local copy.

> In this repo, I store several videos and images in order to teach my
> classes. I use "Fair use" and other copyright exceptions in order to
> use copyrighted material, which is only for pose questions and
> reflections to my students.

This is beyond the scope of sourcehut. Storing large binary files in git
repositories is strongly discouraged. You should host these in a more
appropriate medium, and indeed this repository would eventually be
flagged for review.
Details
Message ID
<20220621195817.c23e04f43e5502471fba71bb@posteo.net>
In-Reply-To
<CKW011WEA91E.BMXXQ16JGVN0@taiga> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 19:46:56 +0200
"Drew DeVault" <sir@cmpwn.com> ha escrit:

> On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> > I see in [man
> > pages](https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/#acceptable-resource-usage) that
> > git service has a limit of 3.5GB of data. I have one repo with more
> > size than that [another question is how to find in web UI the size of
> > whole repo].
> 
> Just run du -h or something similar against your local copy.

I mean the user different to submitter. 

> 
> > In this repo, I store several videos and images in order to teach my
> > classes. I use "Fair use" and other copyright exceptions in order to
> > use copyrighted material, which is only for pose questions and
> > reflections to my students.
> 
> This is beyond the scope of sourcehut. Storing large binary files in git
> repositories is strongly discouraged. You should host these in a more
> appropriate medium, and indeed this repository would eventually be
> flagged for review.

Thanks for the sincerity. What online medium do you recommend?
Anyway, I don't expect more traffic against this repo. I'm essentially the only person using that. So there are just storage costs, not network ones.

Regards,
Xavier
Details
Message ID
<CKW0JXKUFDX9.1MMG1PZHMWQY1@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<20220621195817.c23e04f43e5502471fba71bb@posteo.net> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:58 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> > This is beyond the scope of sourcehut. Storing large binary files in git
> > repositories is strongly discouraged. You should host these in a more
> > appropriate medium, and indeed this repository would eventually be
> > flagged for review.
>
> Thanks for the sincerity. What online medium do you recommend?
> Anyway, I don't expect more traffic against this repo. I'm essentially
> the only person using that. So there are just storage costs, not
> network ones.

Anything else. rsync to a server, or stick the videos on PeerTube, etc.

It's also a cost in terms of wasted CPU time (media is
non-compressible), and additional bandwidth and storage (from backups).
Details
Message ID
<CKW0OHJE34L8.1D1WWK733MQ1I@Archetype>
In-Reply-To
<20220621195817.c23e04f43e5502471fba71bb@posteo.net> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:58 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> What online medium do you recommend?

You may want to take a look at disroot's hosted Nextcloud instance[0] if
you don't have your own server. You can also combine this with
git-annex[1] to still be able to use it with your git repo.

[0]: https://disroot.org/en/services/nextcloud
[1]: https://git-annex.branchable.com/
--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh
Details
Message ID
<CKW0TYKBQ4CH.334VFHAQPBU5O@nix>
In-Reply-To
<20220621195817.c23e04f43e5502471fba71bb@posteo.net> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> In this repo, I store several videos and images in order to teach
> my classes.  I use "Fair use" and other copyright exceptions in order
> to use copyrighted material, which is only for pose questions and
> reflections to my students.

I can offer you access to a public VPS (loang.net) if you don't have
a server to store those files already.  You can rsync the files there
and I can expose them via nginx (we also have IPFS but I suppose
the files are only to be stored for a few months so they prolly
don't worth the overhead).
Details
Message ID
<20220622161921.1b8eaa9628cf26f4e0c0089b@posteo.net>
In-Reply-To
<CKW0JXKUFDX9.1MMG1PZHMWQY1@taiga> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
OK. I understand. I will migrate soon my repo to another place.
Please, give me some time to do that ;-)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 20:11:35 +0200
"Drew DeVault" <sir@cmpwn.com> ha escrit:

> On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:58 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> > > This is beyond the scope of sourcehut. Storing large binary files in git
> > > repositories is strongly discouraged. You should host these in a more
> > > appropriate medium, and indeed this repository would eventually be
> > > flagged for review.
> >
> > Thanks for the sincerity. What online medium do you recommend?
> > Anyway, I don't expect more traffic against this repo. I'm essentially
> > the only person using that. So there are just storage costs, not
> > network ones.
> 
> Anything else. rsync to a server, or stick the videos on PeerTube, etc.
> 
> It's also a cost in terms of wasted CPU time (media is
> non-compressible), and additional bandwidth and storage (from backups).
Details
Message ID
<20220622161942.9613551260fb466610b20a3a@posteo.net>
In-Reply-To
<CKW0OHJE34L8.1D1WWK733MQ1I@Archetype> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Thanks, Moritz, for the suggestion

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 20:17:32 +0200
"Moritz Poldrack" <moritz@poldrack.dev> ha escrit:

> On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:58 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> > What online medium do you recommend?
> 
> You may want to take a look at disroot's hosted Nextcloud instance[0] if
> you don't have your own server. You can also combine this with
> git-annex[1] to still be able to use it with your git repo.
> 
> [0]: https://disroot.org/en/services/nextcloud
> [1]: https://git-annex.branchable.com/
> --
> Moritz Poldrack
> https://moritz.sh
Details
Message ID
<20220622162519.2b1b74a04227c4511666a2c4@posteo.net>
In-Reply-To
<CKW0TYKBQ4CH.334VFHAQPBU5O@nix> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Thanks, Nguyễn, for the offer but it's not necessary.

Previously I have my repos in my VPS (git.somenxavier.xyz) hosted in linode but because I mainly have use VPS for hosting git repos, I thought I need something cheaper ($5 x 12 months plus VAT = $72.6 year in linode VS $20 in sr.ht). And no one except me use them.

I tried repo.or.cz until few weeks ago but the server is down many times.
An alternative is codeberg.

Considering all of this, I think I will return to my VPS ;-)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 03:24:41 +0900
Nguyễn Gia Phong <mcsinyx@disroot.org> ha escrit:

> On Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM CEST, Xavier B. wrote:
> > In this repo, I store several videos and images in order to teach
> > my classes.  I use "Fair use" and other copyright exceptions in order
> > to use copyrighted material, which is only for pose questions and
> > reflections to my students.
> 
> I can offer you access to a public VPS (loang.net) if you don't have
> a server to store those files already.  You can rsync the files there
> and I can expose them via nginx (we also have IPFS but I suppose
> the files are only to be stored for a few months so they prolly
> don't worth the overhead).
Details
Message ID
<CKWRDSE59PSN.34ZGT81YL9R0X@grinningface>
In-Reply-To
<20220622162519.2b1b74a04227c4511666a2c4@posteo.net> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Wed Jun 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM EDT, Xavier B. wrote:
> Thanks, Nguyễn, for the offer but it's not necessary.
>
> Previously I have my repos in my VPS (git.somenxavier.xyz) hosted in linode but because I mainly have use VPS for hosting git repos, I thought I need something cheaper ($5 x 12 months plus VAT = $72.6 year in linode VS $20 in sr.ht). And no one except me use them.

If no-one except you uses them, you could just host it on an old laptop
plugged into your router. It would definitely be able to handle the
almost nonexistent load. I’m currently doing that for my website and
gemini capsule (as it’s just a non-bare git repo with potentially-large
files) and it works perfectly. (You could also just not have a remote if
you don’t care about people being /able/ to use them.)

> I tried repo.or.cz until few weeks ago but the server is down many times.
> An alternative is codeberg.

You could also get an account on a pubnix [1] and host it there. I know
that tilde.institute [2] offers cgit

[1]: {https,gopher,gemini}://tildeverse.org/
[2]: {https,gopher}://tilde.institute/

Cheers,
-- 
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs
Details
Message ID
<20220623133925.e38a717b4465da404984122f@posteo.net>
In-Reply-To
<CKWRDSE59PSN.34ZGT81YL9R0X@grinningface> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:13:04 +0000
"DJ Chase" <u9000@posteo.mx> ha escrit:

> On Wed Jun 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM EDT, Xavier B. wrote:
> > Thanks, Nguyễn, for the offer but it's not necessary.
> >
> > Previously I have my repos in my VPS (git.somenxavier.xyz) hosted in linode but because I mainly have use VPS for hosting git repos, I thought I need something cheaper ($5 x 12 months plus VAT = $72.6 year in linode VS $20 in sr.ht). And no one except me use them.
> 
> If no-one except you uses them, you could just host it on an old laptop
> plugged into your router. It would definitely be able to handle the
> almost nonexistent load. I’m currently doing that for my website and
> gemini capsule (as it’s just a non-bare git repo with potentially-large
> files) and it works perfectly. (You could also just not have a remote if
> you don’t care about people being /able/ to use them.)
> 

I was thinking in that but maintenance is the ugly thing. I'm perfect capable of mount a web server but the maintenance of the server (overall security holes) is the hardest thing. I have no time to do that I think.


> > I tried repo.or.cz until few weeks ago but the server is down many times.
> > An alternative is codeberg.
> 
> You could also get an account on a pubnix [1] and host it there. I know
> that tilde.institute [2] offers cgit
> 
> [1]: {https,gopher,gemini}://tildeverse.org/
> [2]: {https,gopher}://tilde.institute/
> 


Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have an account in tilde.institute and in SDF.
I did not know any initiative like that.


If anyone don't say anything, I think we could close this conversation. Thank you very much to you all for all suggestion and the ~sir for allow the off-topic conversation ;-)

> Cheers,
> -- 
> DJ Chase
> They, Them, Theirs
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)