License chooser?

<4a181324-2464-08e1-15d1-f62aa253b5b8@boehs.org>
Would it be wise to offer some one click licenses instead of instructing
users to make a file?

Something like
https://i.boehs.org/spyaw3ln.png

And in the license creator
https://i.boehs.org/sbvdfgpx.png

These are of course very basic mockups. Instead of the "Write my own",
ideally to the left of the radio buttons there is a text entry box.

This would surely encourage people to license their projects. Currently
when I see the warning I add it to my backlog and forget about it until
I see the warning again. If I could just click a button I might be more
inclined :).

If drew approves of this, I might create a patch. What licenses and
short descriptions would the sourcehut community like to see?

Evan
<Ydz71ImVLf3QwMqw@beryllium.local>
In-Reply-To
<4a181324-2464-08e1-15d1-f62aa253b5b8@boehs.org> (view parent)
Quoth Evan Boehs:
>Would it be wise to offer some one click licenses instead of
>instructing users to make a file?

I don’t think so.  Imho, any sort of committing needs to be done
locally.  The server doesn’t have access to your git config or to
private keys you might wanna use to sign commits and if you wanna do
more intricate Git stuff than just committing to the main branch, you’ll
do it locally either way.

Further complications are modification you might wanna do to the license
text: You might wanna have a custom copyright notice or add an
exception.  I think all this is too much trouble for too little benefit.

A better option to make this easier would be to write a little script
for it:

	$ git choose-a-license GPLv3
	$ git status
	On branch master
	Changes to be committed:
	  (use "git restore --staged <file>..." to unstage)
	        new file:   LICENSE

	$

--
Humm
<871r1e8yx9.fsf@city17.xyz>
> A better option to make this easier would be to write a little script for it:
>
> 	$ git choose-a-license GPLv3
> 	$ git status
> 	On branch master
> 	Changes to be committed:
> 	  (use "git restore --staged <file>..." to unstage)
> 	        new file:   LICENSE

Sounds like an interesting patch to submit for proposal to:
https://git.sr.ht/~emersion/hut
<CH2PFVE78CZI.2UTAM3FJXLHAE@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<871r1e8yx9.fsf@city17.xyz> (view parent)
I don't think that this is a good idea. Users should be better informed
about their choice of license than such a tool would offer, and the idea
of git.sr.ht committing to your repo on your behalf is unprecedented in
its design.
<Yd1IFz6aonYP9JwE@gmail.com>
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:39:00AM +0000, Humm wrote:
> Quoth Evan Boehs:
> > Would it be wise to offer some one click licenses instead of instructing
> > users to make a file?
>
> A better option to make this easier would be to write a little script for
> it:

You mean like https://git.fsfe.org/reuse/tool ?
<4d3bcb46-327d-ed55-7a9a-0f1603216938@cepheide.org>
In-Reply-To
<Yd1IFz6aonYP9JwE@gmail.com> (view parent)
On 1/11/22 10:04 AM, Jiri Vlasak wrote:

> You mean like https://git.fsfe.org/reuse/tool ?

Yes, the REUSE (https://reuse.software) team put a lot of thought into
licensing issues, notably that many repositories reusing code probably
have more than one license to handle.

It would be great that sr.ht supports the LICENSES/ directory instead of
the mainstream LICENSE files used by Git..b, or the terrible "Choose a
License" site that does not promote software freedom nor reuse.

Regards,

==
hk
<Yd1t2IbkTZ3st8yu@kroah.com>
In-Reply-To
<4d3bcb46-327d-ed55-7a9a-0f1603216938@cepheide.org> (view parent)
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 12:24:02PM +0100, hellekin wrote:
> On 1/11/22 10:04 AM, Jiri Vlasak wrote:
> >
> > You mean like https://git.fsfe.org/reuse/tool ?
> >

> Yes, the REUSE (https://reuse.software) team put a lot of thought into
> licensing issues, notably that many repositories reusing code probably have
> more than one license to handle.
>
> It would be great that sr.ht supports the LICENSES/ directory instead of the
> mainstream LICENSE files used by Git.

It does support it from what I can tell, I have a number of repos that
use this format for the licenses of the project just fine.

thanks,

greg k-h
<CH2VY4I2GT48.3GW0NHOOUT3OI@nix>
In-Reply-To
<Yd1t2IbkTZ3st8yu@kroah.com> (view parent)
> > It would be great that sr.ht supports the LICENSES/ directory
> > instead of the mainstream LICENSE files used by Git.
>
> It does support it from what I can tell, I have a number of repos that
> use this format for the licenses of the project just fine.

For future references, it is documented here:
https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/#readme-and-license-files
<Yd2iwcI3i2FsbyUx@beryllium.local>
In-Reply-To
<871r1e8yx9.fsf@city17.xyz> (view parent)
Quoth jman:
>> A better option to make this easier would be to write a little script for it:
>>
>> 	$ git choose-a-license GPLv3
>> 	$ git status
>> 	On branch master
>> 	Changes to be committed:
>> 	  (use "git restore --staged <file>..." to unstage)
>> 	        new file:   LICENSE
>
>Sounds like an interesting patch to submit for proposal to:
>https://git.sr.ht/~emersion/hut

No.  Nothing about this is specific to SourceHut.  Copying one of a few
text files is as easy as `cp`.  When you want to `git add`, commit, or
even push it, it becomes specific to Git.  Nowhere does this have
anything at all to do with SourceHut specifically.

--
Humm
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)