~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss

10 4

sourcehut on mobile: lists width needs improvement

Details
Message ID
<5ae8fa80-a81f-4e48-b266-aa5a387de721@disroot.org>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
i read somewhere this is by design...

but horizontal scrolling truly sucks for reading!

72 characters per line is toooo much for mobile. it will always scroll...

even this line with 48 might already be too much!

some folks might prefer 36 at most .

can't we just have the standard to be word wrap and fit your screen?

or at least offer an toggle to change the layout on site.

something... there must be a better way for this.

reference used:
123456789012345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712
Details
Message ID
<BC281FB5-E743-426F-9420-F0CF4B9EE40E@disroot.org>
In-Reply-To
<5ae8fa80-a81f-4e48-b266-aa5a387de721@disroot.org> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message

On December 9, 2020 6:22:18 p.m. GMT+01:00, aue oiae <cregox@disroot.org> wrote:
>i read somewhere this is by design...
>
>but horizontal scrolling truly sucks for reading!
>
>72 characters per line is toooo much for mobile. it will always scroll...
>
>even this line with 48 might already be too much!
>
>some folks might prefer 36 at most .
>
>can't we just have the standard to be word wrap and fit your screen?
I absolutely second this, for example emails are almost unreadable to me even with soft wrapping of 72-character hard-wrapped lines on my phone for instance...
>
>or at least offer an toggle to change the layout on site.
>
>something... there must be a better way for this.
>
>reference used:
>123456789012345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712
Details
Message ID
<C7OS8FQ9KJ3X.1IN6J03SVLM3N@localhost.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<BC281FB5-E743-426F-9420-F0CF4B9EE40E@disroot.org> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Wed Dec 9, 2020 at 9:47 PM EST, Allen Sobot wrote:
> Return-Receipt-To: Allen Sobot <chilledfrogs@disroot.org>

That's a really obnoxious thing to include in a message to a public
mailing list.

Seeing it made me remember a feature I'd like in the sourcehut list
management software. Can we have it filter that header?

In the context of a public mailing list it is at best silly/rude and
at worst provides a mechanism to flood someone else's mailbox with
receipts by forging such a message from them if you know they subscribe
to the list and are permitted to post.

I feel strongly enough about disallowing that header that I might be
willing to dive in and write the patch, if the maintainers agree the
feature is desirable.

If I can produce a patch for this that meets the project's quality
standards, is it likely to be accepted?

Thanks,

Geoff
Details
Message ID
<6ED96DED-19AB-46FE-958B-E90987CB0B6F@disroot.org>
In-Reply-To
<C7OS8FQ9KJ3X.1IN6J03SVLM3N@localhost.localdomain> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message

On December 10, 2020 4:24:06 a.m. GMT+01:00, Geoff Beier <geoff@tuxpup.com> wrote:
>On Wed Dec 9, 2020 at 9:47 PM EST, Allen Sobot wrote:
>> Return-Receipt-To: Allen Sobot <chilledfrogs@disroot.org>
>
>That's a really obnoxious thing to include in a message to a public
>mailing list.
I'm terribly sorry about this, and this message will probably have that same header in it...
I in fact had no clue about this header's existence, or in any case that my client puts it in. 
If you could therefore point me to a way to get rid of it I would be thankful (I use K-9 Mail on my phone and Neomutt on my computer)

>
>Seeing it made me remember a feature I'd like in the sourcehut list
>management software. Can we have it filter that header?
>
>In the context of a public mailing list it is at best silly/rude and
>at worst provides a mechanism to flood someone else's mailbox with
>receipts by forging such a message from them if you know they subscribe
>to the list and are permitted to post.
>
>I feel strongly enough about disallowing that header that I might be
>willing to dive in and write the patch, if the maintainers agree the
>feature is desirable.
>
>If I can produce a patch for this that meets the project's quality
>standards, is it likely to be accepted?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Geoff
>
Details
Message ID
<C7P5DK12OVI8.1CZL2V1FTOIOR@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<C7OS8FQ9KJ3X.1IN6J03SVLM3N@localhost.localdomain> (view parent)
DKIM signature
fail
Download raw message
DKIM signature: fail
On Wed Dec 9, 2020 at 10:24 PM EST, Geoff Beier wrote:
> Seeing it made me remember a feature I'd like in the sourcehut list
> management software. Can we have it filter that header?

Yes. Please file a ticket with ~sircmpwn/lists.sr.ht, or send a patch.
Let's just reject mail with this header outright and send a bounce.
Details
Message ID
<C7P4ZIT9DQI5.3E5X9AKM2ERP7@clamps.tuxpup.com>
In-Reply-To
<6ED96DED-19AB-46FE-958B-E90987CB0B6F@disroot.org> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Thu Dec 10, 2020 at 4:33 AM EST, Allen Sobot wrote:
> I'm terribly sorry about this, and this message will probably have that
> same header in it...
> I in fact had no clue about this header's existence, or in any case that
> my client puts it in.
> If you could therefore point me to a way to get rid of it I would be
> thankful (I use K-9 Mail on my phone and Neomutt on my computer)
>
It sure did. On the bright side, the fact that you didn't know about it
until I mentioned it suggests that very few mailers are sending such
receipts by default anymore. If they were, you'd have a bunch of read
receipts.

For K-9, it looks like details on that feature are here:

https://k9mail.app/documentation/settings/account.html

under the heading "Read Receipt"

If you didn't know about the header, it seems vanishingly unlikely that
you could have set it in mutt. (I assume neomutt inherits that
behavior.) To do it in mutt, you need something like

my_hdr Return-Receipt-To: me@example.com

muttrc, so assuming you control your own muttrc you'd just delete that.

I don't use either of those as a daily driver, though, so take my
suggestions only as hints, not precise instructions :)

Feel free to reply to me off-list if you'd like to test whether it's
still enabled once you attempt to remove it. My phone's prompt about
whether to send it is prominent and jarring, so I'll notice.
Details
Message ID
<C7P5OQJ7WH9F.1W4FC6FOHUTXW@clamps.tuxpup.com>
In-Reply-To
<C7P5DK12OVI8.1CZL2V1FTOIOR@taiga> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Thu Dec 10, 2020 at 8:42 AM EST, Drew DeVault wrote:
>
> Yes. Please file a ticket with ~sircmpwn/lists.sr.ht, or send a patch.
> Let's just reject mail with this header outright and send a bounce.

Ticket filed. I'd like to take a swing at a patch over the next day or
two.
Details
Message ID
<ef777a69-c779-4564-befc-97f440b42fa1@disroot.org>
In-Reply-To
<C7P5DK12OVI8.1CZL2V1FTOIOR@taiga> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
now the topic hijacking is hopefully out of the way, could we get back to 
the main topic?

why was it mostly ignored? am i missing something?
Details
Message ID
<C7P6GC65NU7J.13PZRYU04X310@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<ef777a69-c779-4564-befc-97f440b42fa1@disroot.org> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Because it's been mentioned many times before and nothing has changed
since then.
Details
Message ID
<eea9022b-2957-487c-b728-8e902cc05531@disroot.org>
In-Reply-To
<C7P6GC65NU7J.13PZRYU04X310@taiga> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
just to be clear, the whole point here is the website. it's still a big 
deal for sharing the "forum" content.

drew, i hear you mentioning like "it's a dead beaten horse"... but 
searching for "mobile width" and related "width" terms (like i did before 
posting this) brought nothing.

i'm probably still missing something. my previous and still relevant 
topic about **search** was also ignored 
https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/<d9c8c126-e33b-401a-9145-3d1ccb7cc008%40disroot.org>

then, finally, after searching for just "width" and going through 3 
pages, reading all titles and opening a few suspects, i found the 1 dead 
horse (that coincidentally i had read before). looks like there's no 
other one: 
https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3C61A9D4A1-C66D-4D1C-83A3-E18D61EE1D12%40esolia.co.jp%3E#%3C20190118221920.GA54076@airmail.cc%3E

i even thought i had said something useful about it before, but i can be 
too confusing even for myself sometimes 
https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3C4340067b-4736-4851-ba5f-bbbc95b034cc%40disroot.org%3E 
(on a side note, searching for "from:me" didn't work).

anyway...

that discussion is basically around 3 topics that could be relevant here:

- format-flow

i don't care if this is implemented or not.

- rfc 2646

as it's mentioned there, it's a very old and at least somewhat outdated 
article. just because it's spelled RFC doesn't mean it's much more than 
an article. a big one, hard to read.

above all, it's being used to support 72 hard wrapping. i also don't care 
so much about this. wrap as you want.

- the mobile experience in the website

this was a superficial topic there in which everyone who mentioned it 
agreed it currently sucks.

including drew. apparently. i can't tell for sure what was the "aye" for. 
(side note, it still annoys me having to manually add 4 ">" below):


   

    

      An aside, while I was poking around about this challenge, I found a
     
mailing list app https://public-inbox.org/README.html that "shares
     
via git" so it seemed interesting. This one displays correctly even if
     
you send your plain text email in without hard wrap points.
     

    

   


   

     Aye, but that only works on the reader on the website
    

   

what's more, the last words are hoping to find ways around sourcehut 
issue... almost 2 years ago!

but why not patching it?

it surely can be done fairly easy with responsive css.

but i couldn't find a single browser, out of 10 different ones i've 
tried, mostly variations from fennec, chromium, or opera, and tor (btw, 
kiwi is surprisingly good and bad alternative for many things web, and 
lynklet is a awesome option for browsing on android)

i think it would be easier to patch, better for everyone, and worse for 
nobody.

my only guess as to why it haven't been done it's because most people 
here are devs and i never met any other dev who's mobile only like myself 
(i don't even call me a dev, actually).

am i still missing something?

sorry for being so verbose...

tl;dr;

drew (or anyone that could somehow push this into sr.ht): if i could 
"magically" (it'll be hard to do it on termux, i guess) patch this, would 
you take it?

i would just make the smallest possible css 
addition/modification/deletion to make it responsive on mobile, but my 
only desktop test would also be on mobile.

cheers! 😁
Details
Message ID
<c7bc89c7-c38b-4ff1-8d45-88f39f12eeb5@disroot.org>
In-Reply-To
<eea9022b-2957-487c-b728-8e902cc05531@disroot.org> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
wow, sorry to completely break the formatting there with my manual 
"greater than" edition! 🤣 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)