Reject only HTML emails without text/plain alternative?

<5b4b34d3-c208-4785-b826-026f2dbfb467@www.fastmail.com>
Sender timestamp
I've noticed when using iOS Mail, even if I don't use any rich text
features, Apple will still "helpfully" send my emails as text/html.
However they do include the text/plain alternative.

sr.ht currently rejects all email with text/html. I don't know if what
I'm suggesting is nontrivial, but what about if sr.ht instead only
rejected email that did not contain the text/plain alternative? The
text/html part could be simply ignored.

This would permit people to make quick replies that do not require being
at their computer (e.g. I can only ensure I'm sending text/plain email
wrapped at 72 chars by using FastMail's desktop UI).

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com
<1921313.1NICNb8Ziu@sogebu>
On 2019-03-23 1:11 a.m., Paul W. Rankin wrote:

> This would permit people to make quick replies that do not require
being
> at their computer (e.g. I can only ensure I'm sending text/plain email
> wrapped at 72 chars by using FastMail's desktop UI).

Yeah, I've been kinda frustrated with not really having a reliable way
to reply to messages posted here on the go. On Android, the only mail
client I know of that has a reliable text/plain-only mode is K9 Mail,
and even then it doesn't have a way of hard-wrapping text.
<12536402.Vhy6ovQoiC@sogebu>
In-Reply-To
<1921313.1NICNb8Ziu@sogebu> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On Saturday, March 23, 2019 1:26:57 A.M. EDT Francis Dinh wrote:
> Yeah, I've been kinda frustrated with not really having a reliable way
> to reply to messages posted here on the go. On Android, the only mail
> client I know of that has a reliable text/plain-only mode is K9 Mail,
> and even then it doesn't have a way of hard-wrapping text.

Addendum: I think Blue Mail has plain-text mode as well but I haven't
personally tried it and in any case it also doesn't have hard-wrapping.
<GUBYxM8DDOLOiSEImOp0Ofl1_G49QC8SxeaDIdPqNJwzmMm_jB5s7S7JJQuLd2E9Vx9PJnV6MklmapNc9mUq6JNPMNJk6s9vxb_SEZK1l34=@emersion.fr>
On Saturday, March 23, 2019 7:11 AM, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
> sr.ht currently rejects all email with text/html. I don't know if what
> I'm suggesting is nontrivial, but what about if sr.ht instead only
> rejected email that did not contain the text/plain alternative? The
> text/html part could be simply ignored.

E-mail servers cryptographically sign messages with DKIM to
authenticate the sender. Making lists.sr.ht remove the text/html part
would break the signature.

> This would permit people to make quick replies that do not require being
> at their computer (e.g. I can only ensure I'm sending text/plain email
> wrapped at 72 chars by using FastMail's desktop UI).

But maybe it's a good thing, since it ensures you don't send
non-wrapped e-mails? (lists.sr.ht won't display non-wrapped text
properly, there are other discussions about this)
<cf5a0995-54bd-4d3c-aef6-be1bf7902635@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<GUBYxM8DDOLOiSEImOp0Ofl1_G49QC8SxeaDIdPqNJwzmMm_jB5s7S7JJQuLd2E9Vx9PJnV6MklmapNc9mUq6JNPMNJk6s9vxb_SEZK1l34=@emersion.fr> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, at 3:48 PM, Simon Ser wrote:
> E-mail servers cryptographically sign messages with DKIM to
> authenticate the sender. Making lists.sr.ht remove the text/html part
> would break the signature.

Sorry I only mean for display purposes on the website, not altering
the message.

> But maybe it's a good thing, since it ensures you don't send non-
> wrapped e-mails? (lists.sr.ht won't display non-wrapped text properly,
> there are other discussions about this)

I don't want to derail the thread, but... there must be a third way!!
<38b2cdc5-1b16-45b1-8b7f-9642997e037c@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<GUBYxM8DDOLOiSEImOp0Ofl1_G49QC8SxeaDIdPqNJwzmMm_jB5s7S7JJQuLd2E9Vx9PJnV6MklmapNc9mUq6JNPMNJk6s9vxb_SEZK1l34=@emersion.fr> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, at 3:48 PM, Simon Ser wrote:
> E-mail servers cryptographically sign messages with DKIM to
> authenticate the sender. Making lists.sr.ht remove the text/html part
> would break the signature.

Hmm speaking of.. my DKIM signature failed on the last message, but not
the first, and I can't tell why...
<1b4a506e-362d-8557-91ae-0c17233a1c8b@biribiri.dev>
In-Reply-To
<38b2cdc5-1b16-45b1-8b7f-9642997e037c@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-03-23 1:57 a.m., Paul W. Rankin wrote:
> Hmm speaking of.. my DKIM signature failed on the last message, but not
> the first, and I can't tell why...

DKIM can get kinda finicky sometimes. In my case I notice some messages
(like Simon's from earlier) were marked as having a valid DKIM signature
on lists.sr.ht, but on my mail server it was marked as invalid.
<f5d0fcb6-b52e-60eb-2c2b-03ed3557922b@interia.pl>
W dniu 23.03.2019 o 06:48, Simon Ser pisze:
> On Saturday, March 23, 2019 7:11 AM, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>> This would permit people to make quick replies that do not require being
>> at their computer (e.g. I can only ensure I'm sending text/plain email
>> wrapped at 72 chars by using FastMail's desktop UI).
>
> But maybe it's a good thing, since it ensures you don't send
> non-wrapped e-mails? (lists.sr.ht won't display non-wrapped text
> properly, there are other discussions about this)

Maybe let's go one step further and ask:
Do we want quick replies made from a smartphone?
Wouldn't that mean they're done hastily, without much thought before
pressing the "Send" button?
<317a3d8e-11c3-4194-ac0a-d0e2edcb5a48@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<f5d0fcb6-b52e-60eb-2c2b-03ed3557922b@interia.pl> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, at 8:49 PM, Wolf480pl wrote:
> Maybe let's go one step further and ask:
> Do we want quick replies made from a smartphone?
> Wouldn't that mean they're done hastily, without much thought before
> pressing the "Send" button?

Not all communication is equal, some threads might require only a short
(even one-word) reply.

That said, emails composed on smartphones aren't necessarily composed
hastily or without thought. I think the requirement for plain text
emails is more to do with preserving the integrity of patches.
<20190323133444.GA1203@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<5b4b34d3-c208-4785-b826-026f2dbfb467@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
I'm afraid that text/html is never going to be permitted on lists.sr.ht.
The entire idea of text/html is only marginally more secure than leaving
all of your doors and windows open and putting a sign in your yard
saying "free valuables for drifters, enquire within". 999 of every 1000
email-related vulnerabilities is related to HTML email. Even setting
aside security, HTML email is annoying to read. Most readers of
lists.sr.ht, especially on code-oriented mailing lists, are reading and
writing email in their terminal emulators - like this very email. Lack
of rich text, large image attachments, and so on - is a feature, not a
bug.

I don't think that sourcehut is going to succeed at making emails the
premier option for software development if we capitulate to every bad
client. We'll stick to our guns and clients will adapt.
<4A2FC6EB-C637-4B11-8432-BC63B1DC76E9@paulwrankin.com>
In-Reply-To
<20190323133444.GA1203@homura.localdomain> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
I just created a Service in Automator to pipe the text selection to
shell `fmt -w 72`.

Success! Easy wrapping in Apple Mail.

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com