[skip ci] support

<643D2C6E-B181-48A9-A937-915115E056BF@jxs.me>
Several build services parse commit messages containing "[skip ci]" as a way to not start a build after push. Is there any interest in having this added to scm.sr.ht?

If so, would submit.py be the place to add it?

https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/scm.sr.ht/tree/master/scmsrht/submit.py

Thanks,
Jason
<IH88dh1VsvnP-qV02OuMRfUSlIMsaSixsKXxfRwJ1p5x0BtjADVzStYw2G4bLOe7Ny5Izv63NeJZZYbEBFmM6mfcdFqICjudswpfGcF2Qww=@partin.io>
In-Reply-To
<643D2C6E-B181-48A9-A937-915115E056BF@jxs.me> (view parent)
Jason,

There is substantial interest in it. There is a ticket lying around somewhere... I had started looking into it a while ago and that seems to be where I was looking as well.

Tristan Partin
<86zhh9iamg.fsf@acsl.se>
Jason Staten <code@jxs.me> writes:

> Several build services parse commit messages containing "[skip ci]" as
> a way to not start a build after push. Is there any interest in having
> this added to scm.sr.ht?

While I can understand the need for such a feature, it seems weird to
encode this in a commit message, doesn't it?  Maybe it's the only way?

--
  Malcolm Matalka
  Abiogenesis Computer Systems Lab

> > Several build services parse commit messages containing "[skip
> > ci]"
> > as a way to not start a build after push. Is there any interest in
> > having this added to scm.sr.ht?
>
> While I can understand the need for such a feature, it seems weird to
> encode this in a commit message, doesn't it?  Maybe it's the only way?

I have seen people submitting additional information with push before,
I believe it was the '--push-option/-o' option, which runs a hook
'hooks/{pre,post}-receive'.

So it would be: git push -o skip-ci

This would be a better way in my opinion, because it does not make
sense to have "[skip ci]" as part of the repository history/commit
message.

Kind regards,
--
Humaid AlQassimi
https://humaidq.ae
> I have seen people submitting additional information with push
> before,
> I believe it was the '--push-option/-o' option, which runs a hook
> 'hooks/{pre,post}-receive'.
>
> So it would be: git push -o skip-ci
>
> This would be a better way in my opinion, because it does not make
> sense to have "[skip ci]" as part of the repository history/commit
> message.
Agreed. You don't want your commit history to be polluted with
[skip ci] tags, and implementing this as a push option allows you to
skip builds without having to edit other people's commit messages (e.g.
when adding patches from others.)
<e68969403be9925620dd490f31c58e8aba2aa019.camel@ben.gmbh>
In-Reply-To
<20191106104916.235569cd@kudu.alq> (view parent)
> So it would be: git push -o skip-ci
>
> This would be a better way in my opinion, because it does not make
> sense to have "[skip ci]" as part of the repository history/commit
> message.
Agreed. I think push options would be the best way to implement these
kind of features. You don't want your repository's commit history to be
polluted with [skip ci] tags, and implementing this as a push option
lets you skip builds without having to edit other people's commit
messages when adding patches.
<CF5E9060-EC3D-4A8F-8BF8-C4D1DFF8FADF@jxs.me>
In-Reply-To
<86zhh9iamg.fsf@acsl.se> (view parent)
I agree it’s not ideal, but it is a common convention.

As an alternative that doesn’t clutter history, GitLab supports ignoring via the “ci.skip” git push option:

git push --push-option=ci.skip

I’m not sure what the Mercurial equivalent would be.

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-push#Documentation/git-push.txt---push-optionltoptiongt

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/#skipping-jobs

> On Nov 6, 2019, at 3:04 AM, Malcolm Matalka <malcolm.matalka@acsl.se> wrote:
>

> Jason Staten <code@jxs.me> writes:
>
>> Several build services parse commit messages containing "[skip ci]" as
>> a way to not start a build after push. Is there any interest in having
>> this added to scm.sr.ht?
>
> While I can understand the need for such a feature, it seems weird to
> encode this in a commit message, doesn't it?  Maybe it's the only way?
>

>> If so, would submit.py be the place to add it?
>>
>> https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/scm.sr.ht/tree/master/scmsrht/submit.py
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jason
>

> --