~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss

4 2

Packaging the Sourcehut suite for Debian

Sean Whitton
Details
Message ID
<878svr8b25.fsf@iris.silentflame.com>
Sender timestamp
1556657922
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hello,

I'm a Debian Developer, intringued by Sourcehut, and thinking about the
possibility of adding the Sourcehut suite to the Debian archive.

Since Debian is currently in a pre-release freeze, the target would be
the next stable release of Debian, Debian 11, expected in late 2021.

Is it likely that the way in which Sourcehut is deployed on a host will
change drastically between now and then?  If so, it might be better to
delay beginning packaging efforts until the way in which Sourcehut is
deployed on a host has further stabilised.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts about packaging
Sourcehut for Debian.

-- 
Sean Whitton
Details
Message ID
<20190430214042.GD1286@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<878svr8b25.fsf@iris.silentflame.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1556660442
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hey Sean, thanks for all of your hard work on Debian!

I don't think that Sourcehut, at least today, is a good fit for
downstream repositories. However, we maintain a couple of third-party
repos, one for Alpine and another for Arch. I'd be open to doing so for
Debian as well, if an interested contributor was around to help out.

We ship new releases extremely frequently, and a distro would have a
hard time keeping up. We will probably slow down eventually, but during
the alpha things are moving pretty quickly. We have some CI rigged up
which automatically builds and publishes packages to our mirrors so that
there's a minimal human bottleneck.

If you're interested in working on something like that for Debian, I'd
be happy for your help.
Sean Whitton
Details
Message ID
<8736lz877t.fsf@iris.silentflame.com>
In-Reply-To
<20190430214042.GD1286@homura.localdomain> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1556662902
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hello Drew,

On Tue 30 Apr 2019 at 05:40PM -04, Drew DeVault wrote:

> I don't think that Sourcehut, at least today, is a good fit for
> downstream repositories. However, we maintain a couple of third-party
> repos, one for Alpine and another for Arch. I'd be open to doing so for
> Debian as well, if an interested contributor was around to help out.
>
> We ship new releases extremely frequently, and a distro would have a
> hard time keeping up. We will probably slow down eventually, but during
> the alpha things are moving pretty quickly.

That is fair enough.  Thank you for the feedback.

I do hope that Sourcehut will eventually stabilise, such that I can just
`apt-get install` it on a personal server, config it once, and expect
that it will just keep working, with no more than minor configuration
updates required at each Debian stable release (or equivalent for other
distros).

That could help liberate a lot of people and projects from the likes of
GitHub, in a way that's decentralised, and with a workflow based around
e-mail.

> We have some CI rigged up which automatically builds and publishes
> packages to our mirrors so that there's a minimal human bottleneck.
>
> If you're interested in working on something like that for Debian, I'd
> be happy for your help.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.  It's not something that I want to work
on for the moment, but that might well change at some point.

I will certainly continue to follow the progress of Sourcehut
development with great interest.

-- 
Sean Whitton
Details
Message ID
<20190430224111.GE1286@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<8736lz877t.fsf@iris.silentflame.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1556664071
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On 2019-04-30  3:21 PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
> That is fair enough.  Thank you for the feedback.
> 
> I do hope that Sourcehut will eventually stabilise, such that I can just
> `apt-get install` it on a personal server, config it once, and expect
> that it will just keep working, with no more than minor configuration
> updates required at each Debian stable release (or equivalent for other
> distros).
> 
> That could help liberate a lot of people and projects from the likes of
> GitHub, in a way that's decentralised, and with a workflow based around
> e-mail.

I think this is a laudable and achievable goal. It's not my intention to
run third-party repos forever - I do hope that eventually Sourcehut
makes it into Debian et al. I have no love for companies like Docker
that expect you to perpetually use their repo just becasue they don't
want to work with downstreams. That's not my intention at all

> I'll keep this in mind, thanks.  It's not something that I want to work
> on for the moment, but that might well change at some point.
> 
> I will certainly continue to follow the progress of Sourcehut
> development with great interest.

I would hope any work that went into a third-party Debian repo for
Sourcehut would reduce the work required to move it into Debian stable
to copy+paste. I'm sure the Debian community would appreciate the
effort. If you ever change your mind, let me know. Cheers :)
Sean Whitton
Details
Message ID
<87pnp36rh0.fsf@iris.silentflame.com>
In-Reply-To
<20190430224111.GE1286@homura.localdomain> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1556664427
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hello,

On Tue 30 Apr 2019 at 06:41PM -04, Drew DeVault wrote:

> I think this is a laudable and achievable goal. It's not my intention to
> run third-party repos forever - I do hope that eventually Sourcehut
> makes it into Debian et al. I have no love for companies like Docker
> that expect you to perpetually use their repo just becasue they don't
> want to work with downstreams. That's not my intention at all

That is really great to hear.

>> I'll keep this in mind, thanks.  It's not something that I want to work
>> on for the moment, but that might well change at some point.
>>
>> I will certainly continue to follow the progress of Sourcehut
>> development with great interest.
>
> I would hope any work that went into a third-party Debian repo for
> Sourcehut would reduce the work required to move it into Debian stable
> to copy+paste. I'm sure the Debian community would appreciate the
> effort. If you ever change your mind, let me know. Cheers :)

I think you're right.  I'll keep this in mind.

-- 
Sean Whitton