Submitting a patch to a forge outside sourcehut

jman
<87bldjdtvp.fsf@nyarlathotep>

this may be a silly question, but is there a way (even involving a bit
of elbow grease) to submit a patch to a open-source project hosted on
another forge without being forced to the github-style workflow?

Let's say I want to contribute to "Project A" hosted on Github. I clone
the repo, I prepare my patch. Now what? Any possible scenario to
interact with the repo would involve using github's APIs, right? I see
no way to simply email a patch to the github email of the mantainer and
have it magically appear as a PR.

I guess the whole point for github is keep users inside github and block
external contributions, right?

regards,
<YAjJxRhQ81Sk8Eb1@gaia>
In-Reply-To
<87bldjdtvp.fsf@nyarlathotep> (view parent)
On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 01:19:06AM +0100, jman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this may be a silly question, but is there a way (even involving a bit
> of elbow grease) to submit a patch to a open-source project hosted on
> another forge without being forced to the github-style workflow?
>
> Let's say I want to contribute to "Project A" hosted on Github. I clone
> the repo, I prepare my patch. Now what? Any possible scenario to
> interact with the repo would involve using github's APIs, right? I see
> no way to simply email a patch to the github email of the mantainer and
> have it magically appear as a PR.

As a PR no. You can however to send a patch to the maintainer's inbox. I
guess if you have a account on Github with the same email address, it
will display your name/profile on it and count as contribution on your
profile, but I don't really know.

The same applies to other forges, like a hosted cgit instance.

> I guess the whole point for github is keep users inside github and block
> external contributions, right?

Yes.
<YAjLDX9LwgLKWttd@gaia>
In-Reply-To
<87bldjdtvp.fsf@nyarlathotep> (view parent)
On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 01:19:06AM +0100, jman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this may be a silly question, but is there a way (even involving a bit
> of elbow grease) to submit a patch to a open-source project hosted on
> another forge without being forced to the github-style workflow?
>
> Let's say I want to contribute to "Project A" hosted on Github. I clone
> the repo, I prepare my patch. Now what? Any possible scenario to
> interact with the repo would involve using github's APIs, right? I see
> no way to simply email a patch to the github email of the mantainer and
> have it magically appear as a PR.

As a PR, no. But you can, however send your patch to the maintainer's
inbox and probably if you use the same email address on Github it should
count to your/project contributions page.

> I guess the whole point for github is keep users inside github and block
> external contributions, right?

Yes.
<5879269c-acdf-7464-ac80-19dea9bb6056@archlinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<YAjJxRhQ81Sk8Eb1@gaia> (view parent)
On 1/20/21 7:24 PM, Pedro Lucas Porcellis wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 01:19:06AM +0100, jman wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this may be a silly question, but is there a way (even involving a bit
>> of elbow grease) to submit a patch to a open-source project hosted on
>> another forge without being forced to the github-style workflow?
>>
>> Let's say I want to contribute to "Project A" hosted on Github. I clone
>> the repo, I prepare my patch. Now what? Any possible scenario to
>> interact with the repo would involve using github's APIs, right? I see
>> no way to simply email a patch to the github email of the mantainer and
>> have it magically appear as a PR.
>
> As a PR no. You can however to send a patch to the maintainer's inbox. I
> guess if you have a account on Github with the same email address, it
> will display your name/profile on it and count as contribution on your
> profile, but I don't really know.
>
> The same applies to other forges, like a hosted cgit instance.
>
>> I guess the whole point for github is keep users inside github and block
>> external contributions, right?

Since gitlab is slightly less terrible and has an API that is slightly
better, apparently you can do stuff like this:

https://sourcehut.org/blog/2021-01-15-whats-cooking-january-2021/#dispatchsrht

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
In-Reply-To
<87bldjdtvp.fsf@nyarlathotep> (view parent)
SourceHut uses open protocols and standards. You can use the patch
preparation UI on git.sr.ht, for instance, to contribute to any project
which uses email, including those outside of sr.ht, and even those not
using the sr.ht mailing list software. You can use git.sr.ht to
contribute a patch to Linux, for example.

GitHub is a proprietary platform using proprietary protocols. If they
were to implement open standards like we do, then they'd be able to
interoperate with us without any additional work.
jman
<8735yueewn.fsf@nyarlathotep>
In-Reply-To
<C8OGDL6KAE3T.1RSVPJJHZKC8L@taiga> (view parent)
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com> writes:

> GitHub is a proprietary platform using proprietary protocols. If they
> were to implement open standards like we do, then they'd be able to
> interoperate with us without any additional work.

The irony is that they *do* use mailing lists under the hood, I can
perfectly follow up a discussion on a issue or a pull request using the
email notifications I receive. Inspecting the headers of these emails
show an actual mailing list doing the work.

They are just not exposing the right interface to interact with these
mailing lists :-/
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)