~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss

5 3

"Why Etalab's Free Software pole uses SourceHut"

Details
Message ID
<87lf1ckvrw.fsf@bzg.fr>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hi all,

as kindly mentioned by Drew on his blog post, Etalab's Free
Software pole uses SourceHut for its repositories, e.g. for
the code behind https://code.gouv.fr.

We wrote some explanations of this choice here:

https://man.sr.ht/~etalab/logiciels-libres/why-sourcehut.md

I posted this page on HN for further discussion:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29342920

Etalab, the French public agency for open data, celebrated
its 10th anniversary earlier this year: we are now also in
charge of promoting free software (using & publishing) to
the rest of the French administration.

I hope these short explanations will encourage other public
agencies in the rest of the world to carefully consider what
forge they use, taking citizens' freedom into account.

If you have any question, I'm happy to answer them here or
on the HN post.

Thanks to Drew for the great service his structure provides
with SourceHut, we're glad to be here!

-- 
 Bastien
Details
Message ID
<UHvZxZInUj1TrWT9LJacbKozqwsTw4PZumJVH3XFyFjdT_amlcM4LCnlG2AJLhIunHj1mWeaRLISqrJWWJ42blIwp27p18PMFpZTRTtsNho=@emersion.fr>
In-Reply-To
<87lf1ckvrw.fsf@bzg.fr> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
I'm glad SourceHut values resonate with Etalab. Thanks for choosing us!

Simon
Details
Message ID
<CFZ56DHPC4RD.V9060HGZL6Z2@clamps>
In-Reply-To
<87lf1ckvrw.fsf@bzg.fr> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Salut Bastien,

I love your post and your organization's reasons for choosing SourceHut!

>
> as kindly mentioned by Drew on his blog post, Etalab's Free
> Software pole uses SourceHut for its repositories, e.g. for
> the code behind https://code.gouv.fr.
>
> We wrote some explanations of this choice here:
>
> https://man.sr.ht/~etalab/logiciels-libres/why-sourcehut.md
>

I know I should go find a way to contribute to the wiki, but I only have
a minute to spare. At least in US English, "Free Software pole" is a
very funny translation of "le pôle logiciels libres." "Free Software
Center" would be a much clearer choice and would, in my opinion, almost
certainly better reflect the intent of the original version.

Best of luck to you!


Geoff
Details
Message ID
<87czmnyld1.fsf@gnu.org>
In-Reply-To
<CFZ56DHPC4RD.V9060HGZL6Z2@clamps> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hi Geoff,

"Geoff Beier" <geoff@tuxpup.com> writes:

> I love your post and your organization's reasons for choosing
> SourceHut!

Thanks!

> I know I should go find a way to contribute to the wiki, but I only have
> a minute to spare. At least in US English, "Free Software pole" is a
> very funny translation of "le pôle logiciels libres." "Free Software
> Center" would be a much clearer choice and would, in my opinion, almost
> certainly better reflect the intent of the original version.

I have been hesitating between "pole" and "unit".

I did not consider "center": our unit is made of a handful of civil
servants, "center" would not reflect the truth.  

How about "unit"?  Does it sound better?

Thanks for your help on this, much appreciated.

-- 
 Bastien
Details
Message ID
<CFZ6XVVGCA3W.C8GQ8XNEAKY9@clamps>
In-Reply-To
<87czmnyld1.fsf@gnu.org> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
> > I know I should go find a way to contribute to the wiki, but I only have
> > a minute to spare. At least in US English, "Free Software pole" is a
> > very funny translation of "le pôle logiciels libres." "Free Software
> > Center" would be a much clearer choice and would, in my opinion, almost
> > certainly better reflect the intent of the original version.
>
> I have been hesitating between "pole" and "unit".
>
> I did not consider "center": our unit is made of a handful of civil
> servants, "center" would not reflect the truth.
>
> How about "unit"? Does it sound better?
>

"unit" is much clearer than "pole" to me. Hearing that it is a handful
of civil servants, I might also consider "free software contributors" as
in "Why free software contributors at Etalab use SourceHut."

Best,

Geoff
Details
Message ID
<874k7zyjkt.fsf@gnu.org>
In-Reply-To
<CFZ6XVVGCA3W.C8GQ8XNEAKY9@clamps> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
"Geoff Beier" <geoff@tuxpup.com> writes:

> "unit" is much clearer than "pole" to me.

Fixed, thanks.

> Hearing that it is a handful
> of civil servants, I might also consider "free software contributors" as
> in "Why free software contributors at Etalab use SourceHut."

Writing and publishing code is only a small part of our job: we also
maintain a list of free software other agencies should use, writing
guides on how to publish source code, etc.  So "contributors" does
not really reflect what we are/do exactly.

"Unit" sounds okay to me.  Thanks again!

-- 
 Bastien
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)