Feature request: Attachments in todo

<89E1C991-3711-4734-AF4D-E1EAE5DA4C60@nxg.name>
Greetings.

At present, the todo system doesn't seem to support adding attachments to issues (or if it does, I can't work out to do it).  It would be useful to add this.

My particular case was a user reporting a problem with a LaTeX style file, the source code of which is (as of recently) maintained on sourcehut (~nxg/showlabels).  They sent email directly to me, and I went to create a corresponding issue, partly to explore the interface.

Attachments are useful in this case, and positively encouraged when reporting LaTeX-adjacent bugs: a .tex file to say 'this is a minimum demonstration of the bug', and a PDF to show 'this is what happens on my install'.

Best wishes,

Norman
<590C84D9-0D68-454A-BEDD-A0256F8B3F30@mulliken.net>
In-Reply-To
<89E1C991-3711-4734-AF4D-E1EAE5DA4C60@nxg.name> (view parent)
You could use the paste.sr.ht site to upload your source file and link that to the todo.

--
Josh Mulliken <joshua@mulliken.net>
Public key: https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/A8F3E988B851C652C69EAAAED8724C97059B8EA3

> On Oct 19, 2021, at 12:33 PM, Norman Gray <gray@nxg.name> wrote:
>

> Greetings.
>
> At present, the todo system doesn't seem to support adding attachments to issues (or if it does, I can't work out to do it).  It would be useful to add this.
>
> My particular case was a user reporting a problem with a LaTeX style file, the source code of which is (as of recently) maintained on sourcehut (~nxg/showlabels).  They sent email directly to me, and I went to create a corresponding issue, partly to explore the interface.
>
> Attachments are useful in this case, and positively encouraged when reporting LaTeX-adjacent bugs: a .tex file to say 'this is a minimum demonstration of the bug', and a PDF to show 'this is what happens on my install'.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Norman
<87wnm8eso5.fsf@gnu.org>
In-Reply-To
<590C84D9-0D68-454A-BEDD-A0256F8B3F30@mulliken.net> (view parent)
Joshua Mulliken <joshua@mulliken.net> writes:

> You could use the paste.sr.ht site to upload your source file and link
> that to the todo.

The source file is not the problem but the PDF or image file showing how
the TeX-compiled output looks like.

I agree with Norman: lots of bug reports are accompanied with valuable
attachments like annotated screenshots, or the typical minimal working
example packaged in an archive file.

Also, when responding to a report via mail like "could you please test
if the attached patch helps?", the attached patch won't be shown on
todo.  To work around that limitation, you have to inline the patch in a
markdown code block if you want it to be visible.  That's clearly not
very intuitive and becomes annoying if the patch is more than a few
lines.

So yes, having the possibility to attach files to reports on todo would
be awesome, and when communicating with todo via mail, attachments
should automatically be added.

Bye,
Tassilo
<5400C5DD-C88E-4ABA-80F7-B7E636211058@nxg.name>
In-Reply-To
<590C84D9-0D68-454A-BEDD-A0256F8B3F30@mulliken.net> (view parent)
Joshua, hello.

On 19 Oct 2021, at 17:50, Joshua Mulliken wrote:

> You could use the paste.sr.ht site to upload your source file and link that to the todo.

A good point.  And I see the attraction of having orthogonal services here.

One could do that, yes, but:

(i) It looks like it's intended for text pastes, so attaching a PDF would be hard.

(ii) It's an extra step, so increases the friction of creating an issue.

(iii) It's unexpected, so that if I wanted to say to someone 'it'd be great if you could create an issue on todo.sr.ht', there's an extra set of steps I'd have to explain, if they wanted to attach a sample file (and I _do_ want folk to attach files when reporting this type of issue).

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
<83ED0ABB-ADA4-4BC5-ACE8-C9C5AF13472D@mulliken.net>

To my knowledge paste.sr.ht does not support binary files (I guess you could base64 encode it before upload but that would be really annoying)

Thanks,

--

<CF417MLLMW45.1EKWOQ6Q8V6AL@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<87wnm8eso5.fsf@gnu.org> (view parent)
There's already a ticket for this:

https://todo.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/todo.sr.ht/197

Now that we have object storage support, I'm more open to this idea.
<7A0F588C-899C-4CD7-973D-ECF694F6B416@nxg.name>
In-Reply-To
<CF417MLLMW45.1EKWOQ6Q8V6AL@taiga> (view parent)
Drew and all, greetings.

On 20 Oct 2021, at 7:48, Drew DeVault wrote:

> There's already a ticket for this:
>
> https://todo.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/todo.sr.ht/197
>
> Now that we have object storage support, I'm more open to this idea.

Ooops -- sorry.  I was sure I'd searched the bugparade for previous reports of the issue, but I clearly missed it.

This may be another feature request, but there doesn't appear to be any way of 'watching' that issue, so I hear about any updates, or indeed implementations.  Or indeed of saying '+1'.  Apart from their immediate uses, both of those are quite good ways of getting a sense of a project, via its repository activity.

I'm not trying to nudge anyone into duplicating github here!  But right now I'm casting around for a way of moving some repositories away from self-hosting, and for Mercurial repos, Sourcehut is just about the only game in town.  I therefore have a very concrete interest in the integration between todo.sr.ht and hg.sr.ht, and the overall 'UX'.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk
<CF47J1XWZ8EP.30P855M7WI5ME@taiga>
On Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:33 AM CEST, Norman Gray wrote:
> This may be another feature request, but there doesn't appear to be any
> way of 'watching' that issue, so I hear about any updates, or indeed
> implementations.

Enable notifications? In the top right?
<a69ce1fa89b0a915be2f4cbec3be509fcf512c81.camel@posteo.net>
In-Reply-To
<5400C5DD-C88E-4ABA-80F7-B7E636211058@nxg.name> (view parent)
On Tue, 2021-10-19 at 20:12 +0100, Norman Gray wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2021, at 17:50, Joshua Mulliken wrote:
>
> > You could use the paste.sr.ht site to upload your source file and link that to the todo.
>
> A good point.  And I see the attraction of having orthogonal services here.
>
> One could do that, yes, but:
>
> (i) It looks like it's intended for text pastes, so attaching a PDF would be hard.
>
> (ii) It's an extra step, so increases the friction of creating an issue.
>
> (iii) It's unexpected, so that if I wanted to say to someone 'it'd be great if you could create an issue on todo.sr.ht', there's an extra set of steps I'd have to explain, if they wanted to attach a sample file (and I _do_ want folk to attach files when reporting this type of issue).

Also, contributors without an account cannot attach files in that way.

--
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs

On 20 Oct 2021, at 12:45, Drew DeVault wrote:

> On Wed Oct 20, 2021 at 11:33 AM CEST, Norman Gray wrote:
>
>> This may be another feature request, but there doesn't appear to be any
>>
>> way of 'watching' that issue, so I hear about any updates, or indeed
>>
>> implementations.
>
>  Enable notifications? In the top right?

Fascinating: I didn't notice that, even though I was looking at the page trying to work out how to enable that.  I wonder why.

I'll remark more generally that, myself, I don't find sr.ht easy to visually parse (and it's not as if the pages are busy!).  I say this with some diffidence, however, because I don't claim any skill at that sort of design, and I don't have any concrete suggestions.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk