Re: My ssh key has stopped working with git.sr.ht

<903b10cb-be59-47a5-9b20-0fd01dc88145@www.fastmail.com>
Hi Eduardo.

> It's complaining that the private key file doesn't exist
>
> How is your key inside ~/.ssh named?

It's called id_rsa. The first lines of the output show that git is
offering that key, but nothing happens. I can't tell by the ouput if
the key is rejected, ignored, or what.

>> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
>> debug1: Offering public key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_rsa RSA SHA256:e4gyLOuOj9QldbjAq3IYAdROInXvORazjuYHs8jQDBI
>> debug3: send packet: type 50
>> debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
>> debug3: receive packet: type 51
>> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
>> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ecdsa
>> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ecdsa: No such file or directory
>> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk
>> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ecdsa_sk: No such file or directory
>> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ed25519
>> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ed25519: No such file or directory
>> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk
>> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_ed25519_sk: No such file or directory
>> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_xmss
>> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_xmss: No such file or directory
>> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_dsa
>> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_dsa: No such file or directory
>> debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
>> debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
>> debug3: remaining preferred: password
>> debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
>> debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
>> debug2: userauth_kbdint
>> debug3: send packet: type 50
>> debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
>> debug3: receive packet: type 51
>> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
>> debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
>> debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
>> debug1: No more authentication methods to try.

Re: My ssh key has stopped working with git.sr.ht

<CJF4LR9RROEM.11JOYGLEEWS0Y@grinningcatface>
In-Reply-To
<903b10cb-be59-47a5-9b20-0fd01dc88145@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue Apr 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM EDT, Javier Ayres wrote:
> Hi Eduardo.
>
> > It's complaining that the private key file doesn't exist
> >
> > How is your key inside ~/.ssh named?
>
> It's called id_rsa. The first lines of the output show that git is
> offering that key, but nothing happens. I can't tell by the ouput if
> the key is rejected, ignored, or what.
>
> >> [...]
> >> debug1: Trying private key: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_dsa
> >> debug3: no such identity: /home/lufte/.ssh/id_dsa: No such file or directory

It's called id_dsa. Try changing it to id_rsa and see if that's the
issue.

DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs

Re: My ssh key has stopped working with git.sr.ht

<39269072-3230-452a-a2f1-4c62f547f536@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CJF4LR9RROEM.11JOYGLEEWS0Y@grinningcatface> (view parent)
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 10:47, Drew DeVault wrote:
> I don't see any login attempts on my end for your key over the last 10
> hours or so. Are you sure you're connecting to git.sr.ht? Do you have
> something in /etc/hosts messing it up, or is your DNS server doing
> something unusual?

Thanks. Because of this I tried from a different machine with a new key
which did work, so it was something related to my primary machine. I was
able to narrow it down to this setting in my .ssh/config:

PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes=ssh-rsa

I remember adding this a few weeks ago because I wasn't able to ssh into
an old host. I now prepended '+' to it so it only adds to the existing
list, but I'm not sure why this setting would prevent me from SSHing
into sr.ht but not not Github using the same key.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022, at 11:10, DJ Chase wrote:
> It's called id_dsa. Try changing it to id_rsa and see if that's the
> issue.

I think that's just ssh looking for all the default key names, of which
I have none except id_rsa. Thanks though!

Re: My ssh key has stopped working with git.sr.ht

<3c9a20ab-410c-2c12-872c-841824ca061e@bitfehler.net>
In-Reply-To
<39269072-3230-452a-a2f1-4c62f547f536@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
On 4/20/22 17:29, Javier Ayres wrote:
> PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes=ssh-rsa
>
> I remember adding this a few weeks ago because I wasn't able to ssh into
> an old host. I now prepended '+' to it so it only adds to the existing
> list, but I'm not sure why this setting would prevent me from SSHing
> into sr.ht but not not Github using the same key.

Because the setting probably (can't find a reference right now)
specifies what type of public key you accept from the remote (otherwise
the naming would not make sense), and Github uses RSA keys (according to
my `known_hosts`), whereas sr.ht uses EC keys.

Conrad

Re: My ssh key has stopped working with git.sr.ht

<99b12fff-bd08-4bd2-83bd-94619fe65c43@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<3c9a20ab-410c-2c12-872c-841824ca061e@bitfehler.net> (view parent)
Ah, that makes sense. Thank everyone!