Public meeting planning the sr.ht beta on Friday at 15:00 UTC

<C5B806CFWNC3.TV0A2HAF455P@homura>
I'm making plans to prioritize what's left before sr.ht can graduate
from alpha to beta. I'd like to invite members of the userbase to join
a public meeting this Friday, September 4th, at 15:00 UTC, to review
these priorities, gather feedback, and listen to what you think is most
important for the beta.

The meeting will be held on Mumble at the voice.mnus.de server on port
64738, in the sourcehut room. Anyone is welcome to join.
<C5EPKR9AURTC.2W905D6J4PUP8@homura>
In-Reply-To
<C5B806CFWNC3.TV0A2HAF455P@homura> (view parent)
Thanks for attending, everyone! Some follow-up notes:

This was a good venue for reaching the community. We should do it again.
Tenatively, we're going to host another monthly meeting following each
status update. Let's plan to do this again at 15:00 UTC on the 16th, and
each subsequent 16th from then onwards.

The "beta" label has been added to most of the sr.ht ticket trackers,
and is now being used to keep track of tickets which are prioritized for
the beta.

A pricing survey will likely come forward in the future. The current
most likely plan is to change the tiers to 4, 8, 16, and 32 dollars, and
bump everyone up to the next plan (i.e. 2 -> 4, 5 -> 8, 10 -> 16). Free
service will still be provided to contributors (as opposed to project
owners) and financial aid will still be available for users who cannot
afford an account. However, payment will become mandatory for all other
users when the beta begins.

User groups/orgs is prioritized for the beta. The likely plan is to
allow paid users to create user groups with a membership cap based on
their payment level. However, to make it easier for grassroots projects
(which don't have a centralized budget) to self-organize, the membership
cap will be determined by the *sum* of the payments of all users in the
organization. If, for example, there are 3 project leaders who all have
paid sourcehut accounts, the sum of their payments would determine the
maximum number of unpaid users who can participate.

The idea of a sponsorship pool was suggested, which I am interested in
developing further. The basic idea would be that users could volunteer
to overpay, and their overpayment would enter a pool which could be used
to pay for users who cannot afford to pay.
<87zh658l2b.fsf@gnu.org>
In-Reply-To
<C5EPKR9AURTC.2W905D6J4PUP8@homura> (view parent)
"Drew DeVault" <sir@cmpwn.com> writes:

> A pricing survey will likely come forward in the future. The current
> most likely plan is to change the tiers to 4, 8, 16, and 32 dollars, and
> bump everyone up to the next plan (i.e. 2 -> 4, 5 -> 8, 10 -> 16).

Something I forgot to ask/mention in the meeting, will users be expected
to authorize this change or will the increase be automatically passed? I
get a conflicting feeling about the two scenarios. On the one hand,
authorization from the user will make it clear that they are paying a
different rate than what they subscribed for (but at the same "tier"),
whereas this could also have an effect that payments be not be processed
on-time.

Brett Gilio
<C5ESI85YE1E9.2K9BV4LMUSG1I@homura>
In-Reply-To
<87zh658l2b.fsf@gnu.org> (view parent)
On Fri Sep 4, 2020 at 2:15 PM EDT, Brett Gilio wrote:
> Something I forgot to ask/mention in the meeting, will users be expected
> to authorize this change or will the increase be automatically passed? I
> get a conflicting feeling about the two scenarios. On the one hand,
> authorization from the user will make it clear that they are paying a
> different rate than what they subscribed for (but at the same "tier"),
> whereas this could also have an effect that payments be not be processed
> on-time.

It'll happen automatically, but notifications are going to be sent out
well in advance and users will be given ample time to intervene.
<f284be77-ea72-612b-1599-4fee9ed7a5c5@storiepvtride.it>
Am 04.09.20 um 18:00 schrieb Drew DeVault:

> The idea of a sponsorship pool was suggested, which I am interested in
> developing further. The basic idea would be that users could volunteer
> to overpay, and their overpayment would enter a pool which could be used
> to pay for users who cannot afford to pay.

On the topic of sponsorships: would opening also to tax deductible
donations make sense? I'm thinking to e.g. mozilla corp. aside mozilla
foundation.

I'm just afraid that it would conflict or at least add too much
paperwork to managing an already existing for-profit entity.

regards,
Export thread (mbox)