Is there a way to star / bookmark projects?

<CA+952WopztsU9WpeTg16GDXvM-TfkgHFpAf7ZkhxoV8sy1D5tg@mail.gmail.com>
Is there any way to star / bookmark projects built into SourceHut
itself? So far, I haven't found such functionality, so I thought I
should ask just in case I am missing it.

Perhaps the thinking is it's better to do this using your own tools
e.g. with browser bookmarks or something? Personally, I find the
starring functionality from other project sites helpful to remind me
of projects I am interested in.

- Ryan
<C7SJM5QVNETT.1E8B9JB29FVBD@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CA+952WopztsU9WpeTg16GDXvM-TfkgHFpAf7ZkhxoV8sy1D5tg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon Dec 14, 2020 at 8:29 AM EST, J. Ryan Stinnett wrote:
> Perhaps the thinking is it's better to do this using your own tools
> e.g. with browser bookmarks or something?

Exactly this. Your browser can bookmark any page on its own.
aue oiae
<919c96eb-04c5-4b42-a976-8df5396fafab@disroot.org>
In-Reply-To
<C7SJM5QVNETT.1E8B9JB29FVBD@taiga> (view parent)
this is actually a much bigger question...

for one, on the somewhat analogous github, stars also help to give a
metric to projects. which, like most indexes, have a lot of confusion
added and might be mostly detrimental.

as for the actual question, we indeed lack good ways to bookmark things
contextually.

context is the keyword missing there.

you do need to do it manually if using your browser. or at least any of
the over 10 different browsers i've tried.

and like most things that need repeated manual work, we humans just don't
do it. specially on computers.

the correct answer, from my point of view is: there's no way. sorry.

we need to still collectively create a good way.

using the servers is also no good, as drew implied and i agree.

Dec 14, 2020 13:31:44 Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com>:

> On Mon Dec 14, 2020 at 8:29 AM EST, J. Ryan Stinnett wrote:
>> Perhaps the thinking is it's better to do this using your own tools
>> e.g. with browser bookmarks or something?
>
> Exactly this. Your browser can bookmark any page on its own.
<5b85be0ab8b41c5ffc12951842ff13bbfdc7d219.camel@devosmium.xyz>
In-Reply-To
<919c96eb-04c5-4b42-a976-8df5396fafab@disroot.org> (view parent)
On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 13:38 +0000, aue oiae wrote:
> this is actually a much bigger question...
>
> for one, on the somewhat analogous github, stars also help to give a
> metric to projects. which, like most indexes, have a lot of confusion
> added and might be mostly detrimental.

Personally I like the fact that sourcehut doesn't have any of these
crap gamification "metrics" that have plagued github.

> as for the actual question, we indeed lack good ways to bookmark
> things
> contextually.
>
> context is the keyword missing there.
>
> you do need to do it manually if using your browser. or at least any
> of
> the over 10 different browsers i've tried.
On chrome/firefox it's one button in my experience.

In general I would rather just bookmark the repo/ticket/list and be
able to get to that from anywhere with my browser instead of needing to
go to a page on my profile that has all my "stars" or whatever.

--
Owen
<87sg888djt.fsf@x220>
Owen Salter <owen@devosmium.xyz> writes:

>> context is the keyword missing there.
>>
>> you do need to do it manually if using your browser. or at least any
>> of
>> the over 10 different browsers i've tried.
> On chrome/firefox it's one button in my experience.
>

> In general I would rather just bookmark the repo/ticket/list and be
> able to get to that from anywhere with my browser instead of needing to
> go to a page on my profile that has all my "stars" or whatever.

You can also hit Ctrl + D in Firefox and Chromium to bookmark the
current page.  In the address bar you can prefix with asterisk (*) to
match only bookmarks.

I think if people are not comfortable using their browser to save links,
then that is a problem with the browser.  It's not the job of sites like
Sourcehut to work around that.

Personally I keep a list of URLs in a plain text file and use dmenu to
search through and open them, but that's just one way to do it.  Adding
a bookmark is as simple as

    echo https://example.com >> ~/path/to/bookmarks

Just have to be careful not to clobber it!

Regards,

Greg.
<X9ethU8alObFWYyO@gaia>
In-Reply-To
<87sg888djt.fsf@x220> (view parent)
Personally whenever I find a project that I enjoy and probably would
like to come back again to it, I simple clone it into ~/sources.

Or bookmark it on my browser too.
<CAL7_Mo8Tkh6odSBW=sgKM1FRW+mKthZsOxMvQy5itrackZdAvA@mail.gmail.com>
Le lun. 14 déc. 2020 à 14:30, J. Ryan Stinnett <jryans@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Is there any way to star / bookmark projects built into SourceHut
> itself? So far, I haven't found such functionality, so I thought I
> should ask just in case I am missing it.
>
> Perhaps the thinking is it's better to do this using your own tools

If you like it, contribute !

--
Amirouche ~ https://hyper.dev
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)