Memory on OpenBSD build vm

Dave Voutila
<CAB+pO8EE1v7gicyw=Sxc+hoy6xt7CaO8ZtUPW1t93NRArBS0yQ@mail.gmail.com>
I'm trying to build some Java projects on an OpenBSD image, but
quickly running out of memory thanks to Java's hunger. I found in an
earlier thread[1] that build vm's should have 2GB of memory available,
but that's not the case it seems with the OpenBSD systems. Any chance
those could be bumped up?

For reference, the head of the dmesg output on an OpenBSD build:
---
OpenBSD 6.5 (GENERIC.MP) #3: Sat Apr 13 14:48:43 MDT 2019
    deraadt@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 4278050816 (4079MB)
avail mem = 4138774528 (3947MB)
---

-Dave

[1] https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3C1542605310.3962257.1581445832.2B94EF38%40webmail.messagingengine.com%3E#%3C20181119124626.GF2375@homura.localdomain%3E
<BX1HLHZZFMWJ.1EE4ET18ZBV5X@homura>
In-Reply-To
<CAB+pO8EE1v7gicyw=Sxc+hoy6xt7CaO8ZtUPW1t93NRArBS0yQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon Sep 16, 2019 at 10:06 AM Dave Voutila wrote:
> I'm trying to build some Java projects on an OpenBSD image, but
> quickly running out of memory thanks to Java's hunger. I found in an
> earlier thread[1] that build vm's should have 2GB of memory available,
> but that's not the case it seems with the OpenBSD systems. Any chance
> those could be bumped up?

As you can see from your own dmesg output:

> For reference, the head of the dmesg output on an OpenBSD build:
> ---
> OpenBSD 6.5 (GENERIC.MP) #3: Sat Apr 13 14:48:43 MDT 2019
>     deraadt@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> real mem = 4278050816 (4079MB)
> avail mem = 4138774528 (3947MB)

The build VMs are provisioned with 4G of RAM. It was recently bumped
from 2G, there are not plans to bump it again soon.