Badges interface for projects

<CAGGYq4w20PmfvaTqiaXKN=LpMQckN2B6eZuhf4WqZOjdGZL5Lw@mail.gmail.com>
Hello,

It would be a minor interface improvement, but I prefer how Gitlab
handles project badges to the approach taken generally where badges
are in the README.  Instead, badges are configures as part of the
project, and are displayed at the top of the page, just under the
short description.  Would there be any interest in adding that feature?

To implement this feature, I'd suggest instead of creating online
configuration, that  projects instead use something like a
'.projects.yml' file in the repository.  Rendering would be similar to
how README files are handled, if the file is present, a small utility
would be run to read the YAML and write an HTML fragment.

For an example of a project page might look like, please see the
folder 'example' in the following project:
https://git.sr.ht/~rj/sourcehut-badges/tree/master/example

I'd be willing to submit patches if there is any interest.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert W. Johnstone
In practice, there is.
<C1SISK32PGI6.257GNJSNA64ZV@alpine>
In-Reply-To
<CAGGYq4w20PmfvaTqiaXKN=LpMQckN2B6eZuhf4WqZOjdGZL5Lw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I feel like that would add more coupling between git.sr.ht and
builds.sr.ht than isn't strictly necessary for this functionality. I'm
personally happy with the existing method, even though it does present
some minor annoyances when rehosting projects on other forges.

--Noah
<CAGGYq4zsYfXHxtiKkC5pn2fJVVEnQcfLe+5QrcJN3t=XO2WjYA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<C1SISK32PGI6.257GNJSNA64ZV@alpine> (view parent)
I don't see the any additional coupling.  The badges would be the same as
available in a README.  Rendering would move from the markdown to the
project page.  What have I missed?

Robert

<CAGGYq4yNV2xLFbw+a=b-u9atKKK+uGo-NGru3nQbqOLcznrO3A@mail.gmail.com>

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 8:39 PM Noah Pederson <noah@packetlost.dev> wrote:

> I feel like that would add more coupling between git.sr.ht and
> builds.sr.ht than isn't strictly necessary for this functionality. I'm
> personally happy with the existing method, even though it does present
> some minor annoyances when rehosting projects on other forges.
>
> --Noah
Export thread (mbox)