Re: builds.sr.ht CI doesn't merge PR's against repo HEAD, unlike other CI services, causing issues

Timothee Cour
<CANri+EwjS_zb7RBTXnwepLD=Mpbekf3sN6Cb90Gw+FWbi2jrSQ@mail.gmail.com>
I also wasn't aware of resource usage issues; we are now using 2
instead of 3 openbsd jobs, hopefully this help; openbsd CI is now the
bottleneck in our CI jobs, and reducing it to 1 job would double our
CI running time; we are tracking in
https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/issues/17107 for ways to improve CI on
openbsd with various approaches
(https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/issues/17107#issuecomment-782232960)
so we can bring it down to just 1 job on openbsd.

For the original issue (builds.sr.ht CI doesn't merge PR's against
repo HEAD), one sensible option would be to default to behavior of
other CI's (less surprising as evidenced in other posts) but have an
option to not do the merge (ie current behavior); this would make it
easier for users to integrate builds.sr.ht CI in their workflow, while
still allowing flexiblity. Until then we'll do the merge on our end
for builds.sr.ht pipeline.
--
Timothee Cour

Re: builds.sr.ht CI doesn't merge PR's against repo HEAD, unlike other CI services, causing issues

<C9G45JQTIKP5.3UE2GSMT5IWCH@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CANri+EwjS_zb7RBTXnwepLD=Mpbekf3sN6Cb90Gw+FWbi2jrSQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sun Feb 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM EST, Timothee Cour wrote:
> I also wasn't aware of resource usage issues; we are now using 2
> instead of 3 openbsd jobs, hopefully this help; openbsd CI is now the
> bottleneck in our CI jobs, and reducing it to 1 job would double our
> CI running time; we are tracking in
> https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/issues/17107 for ways to improve CI on
> openbsd with various approaches
> (https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/issues/17107#issuecomment-782232960)
> so we can bring it down to just 1 job on openbsd.

Looks like your new merged builds are timing out, which isn't good
either. I think you have to reduce your OpenBSD coverage until you can
figure out your performance problems.

Re: builds.sr.ht CI doesn't merge PR's against repo HEAD, unlike other CI services, causing issues

<a55c3b0e-0151-4b36-ad57-163412af785d@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<C9G45JQTIKP5.3UE2GSMT5IWCH@taiga> (view parent)
Yeah, I think that's a good call. There are a __lot__ of tests being ran, we can certainly disable some of them.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021, at 14:02, Drew DeVault wrote:
> On Sun Feb 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM EST, Timothee Cour wrote:
> > I also wasn't aware of resource usage issues; we are now using 2
> > instead of 3 openbsd jobs, hopefully this help; openbsd CI is now the
> > bottleneck in our CI jobs, and reducing it to 1 job would double our
> > CI running time; we are tracking in
> > https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/issues/17107 for ways to improve CI on
> > openbsd with various approaches
> > (https://github.com/nim-lang/Nim/issues/17107#issuecomment-782232960)
> > so we can bring it down to just 1 job on openbsd.
>
> Looks like your new merged builds are timing out, which isn't good
> either. I think you have to reduce your OpenBSD coverage until you can
> figure out your performance problems.

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)