paste.sr.ht

<H9q54egAUM6RvvFR1tzaG9gztnPUnwUUwmR5qtGbh3w@cp4-web-038.plabs.ch>
Good evening,

I'm curious to why paste.sr.ht and other secondary services are not
displayed in the top navbar of sr.ht for people to see and use?

Thanks,

Jordan
<C90744LJB2R6.M4BTKG14LSSM@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<H9q54egAUM6RvvFR1tzaG9gztnPUnwUUwmR5qtGbh3w@cp4-web-038.plabs.ch> (view parent)
navbar has limited space and we want to give more visibility to the
primary services.
<NN0gdphgtneQp1kxIo2uN450KUxLj9Js9D1jTtVtyDQ@cp7-web-041.plabs.ch>
In-Reply-To
<C90744LJB2R6.M4BTKG14LSSM@taiga> (view parent)
Ah, makes sense. Still a shame it gets overlooked but I guess that can
change overtime by more people using it, drawing attention to it's
mention in the front page of sr.ht

Thanks,

Jordan
<CPZGKLEQA7SG.XVXO7UG31HI0@Abiolas-Mac-mini.local>
On Wed Feb 3, 2021 at 9:59 PM WAT, Drew DeVault wrote:
> navbar has limited space and we want to give more visibility to the
> primary services.

Would it be possible instead to make it configurable?

For example, I personally has no use for mercurial and the `hg` in the navbar is a
waste of space for me.

Thanks.
<CPZGLFTEHI83.2DNCZJ50JPM8J@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CPZGKLEQA7SG.XVXO7UG31HI0@Abiolas-Mac-mini.local> (view parent)
It's configurable at an instance level, but not for users. Not
necessarily opposed to having it configurable for users save for the
fact that we lack any system for storing user preferences at the moment.
<CPZWMSQAY6GN.37OP2RSPF0GLN@archlinux-x220>
In-Reply-To
<CPZGLFTEHI83.2DNCZJ50JPM8J@taiga> (view parent)
I think it makes more sense for paste to be in the nav with the other
services than not. The other two missing services, chat and pages, have
completely different UIs and UXs compared to the rest of sourcehut.
But paste is just as similar as git, builds, and lists all are to each
other. They all have the same header with the nav bar for other services
and logging in/out, they all can be interacted with either through the
web service or through `hut`, and users all have a
{git,builds,lists,paste}.sr.ht/~username profile page.

Tangential, but I'm curious why paste.sr.ht is designated as a
"secondary service" in the first place. It may not be as strictly
necessary as git repos and mailing lists are to software projects and
the hackers that use sourcehut, but its still very useful to have a
well-formatted and syntax-colored code scratchpad, or a place for
interesting one-off documents and code (such as [0]). I wouldn't sell it
short by calling it "secondary". I'm sure others would find it useful
if it were listed alongside the other core services.

I understand the practical reasoning of the navbar only being so big,
though.

[0]: https://paste.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/6459060150a94c81461f0ba1f3e4cb3b853b9334
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)