Curious if build VMs stay up indefinitely

<S6XmLMV3Gdguib-hMlUBJp0R9lBhWBnCjJ3ANROcMi3wBeVoIFYzEliTMSbenof9VlSgJnIywaqeJjRzIGJ3RRqvrEuQmVQIQG14IKz4yrU=@protonmail.com>
Hi there,

I'm wanting to host a Hugo site somewhere, and I was wondering if the builds system on sourcehut might allow for that? I wasn't sure if this was possible since I know it's not a VPS or anything, so I'm not expecting that kind of service, but was just curious.

Most of the deployment systems such as Netlify or Render are reliant on GitHub, which I would like to avoid...if you know of anything besides a traditional VPS / server setup that works with sourcehut please let me know. :)

Thank you,
Kenneth Dodrill
<C4BX1OT6YIN0.2E9KD53A2N5WZ@homura>
In-Reply-To
<S6XmLMV3Gdguib-hMlUBJp0R9lBhWBnCjJ3ANROcMi3wBeVoIFYzEliTMSbenof9VlSgJnIywaqeJjRzIGJ3RRqvrEuQmVQIQG14IKz4yrU=@protonmail.com> (view parent)
No, the build system cannot be used for this purpose.
<YQXPR0101MB1669D9851F977CA49F2B85F8C8780@YQXPR0101MB1669.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>

On July 20, 2020 9:37:25 PM EDT, Kenneth Dodrill <kmdodrill@protonmail.com> wrote:

>Most of the deployment systems such as Netlify or Render are reliant on
>GitHub, which I would like to avoid...

What do you mean by this? I'm deploying my blog on netlify with sourcehut just fine.
<C4CBM32TZNNO.E5IF4UTSYOOH@B5>
In-Reply-To
<C4BX1OT6YIN0.2E9KD53A2N5WZ@homura> (view parent)
On Mon Jul 20, 2020 at 5:37 PM EDT, Drew DeVault wrote:
> No, the build system cannot be used for this purpose.

I thought that it would be possible to build a site and then deploy
using Sourcehut. Assuming whatever service it is hosted on has a
command line based deployment method.

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the question.

-Zach
<dZVhNdicS9ZfGJ34LupCSspQiKpIFCNNMICZz7a9sgCNInw6AV0RhBZzuQ6-5NNjdnv9olQlHILmFskdrxAD3ramT6BiqmsntaYXdOa9IiI=@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<S6XmLMV3Gdguib-hMlUBJp0R9lBhWBnCjJ3ANROcMi3wBeVoIFYzEliTMSbenof9VlSgJnIywaqeJjRzIGJ3RRqvrEuQmVQIQG14IKz4yrU=@protonmail.com> (view parent)
Thank you to Tom Lebreux and Tom Carrio for helping me figure this out - I think Drew was just saying that no, you can't use the build VM to host a website. You can, however, deploy to a service or something similar using the build system. Anyways, all good now.

> I'm wanting to host a Hugo site somewhere, and I was wondering if the builds system on sourcehut might allow for that? I wasn't sure if this was possible since I know it's not a VPS or anything, so I'm not expecting that kind of service, but was just curious.
>
> Most of the deployment systems such as Netlify or Render are reliant on GitHub, which I would like to avoid...if you know of anything besides a traditional VPS / server setup that works with sourcehut please let me know. :)
>
> Thank you,
> Kenneth Dodrill
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)