"Give Up GitHub!" page at Software Freedom Conservancy

<a380f5b20a76a0f6101036d1d85535fc@speleonics.com.au>
Hi all

Nice to see that today Slashdot had a post about "Give Up GitHub!" from
the Software Freedom Conservancy https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/
And SourceHut gets a link on that page :-)

--
Mike
<8de9a767-6dd9-4b77-827d-0a9c2920bb87@disroot.org>
Jul 2, 2022 6:49:18 PM Mike Lake <mikel@speleonics.com.au>:

> Hi all
>
> Nice to see that today Slashdot had a post about "Give Up GitHub!" from
> the Software Freedom Conservancy
> https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/
> And SourceHut gets a link on that page :-)
>
> --
> Mike
It's also mentioned on Hacker News, though no link to the actual website
is provided.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31932250

-----
Dang Hoang Tuan
https://tsk.bearblog.dev
<c5f78dfa2cc8bdf39016f5e36460226c@speleonics.com.au>
In-Reply-To
<8de9a767-6dd9-4b77-827d-0a9c2920bb87@disroot.org> (view parent)
The Register (I read that as much as /.) has also picked up this story.
"Open source body quits GitHub, urges you to do the same"
https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/30/software_freedom_conservancy_quits_github/?td=rt-3a

Mike

--
Mike
<CLI1A0LGUQIA.3NIPJSILPJF3R@ryzen>
In-Reply-To
<8de9a767-6dd9-4b77-827d-0a9c2920bb87@disroot.org> (view parent)
I have created a tool that should make giving up GitHub in favor of
sourcehut easier:

https://sr.ht/~renerocksai/GH-to-SH/

It migrates issues and prs over to sourcehut.

I've also started a (very early WIP) wiki that adresses issues like "how
would I send a pull request" (or what could I do instead?) for those who
just cannot live without having their repos pulled:

https://man.sr.ht/~renerocksai/migrate-to-sourcehut/

Feel free to share any of these.

Now, my question: is there a good place to point people who are
considering coming to sourcehut but are not convinced by the sourcehut
"homepage" alone and need a bit more hand-holding?

In a way, that's what I want to address with my wiki and point future
potential colaborators (to my projects) to. But I wonder if there's
something better out there already; better than my wiki :-).

---
Rene
<CLI2V44P6J3J.35R6KMGTQRUEC@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CLI1A0LGUQIA.3NIPJSILPJF3R@ryzen> (view parent)
Nice! You may want to consider converting pull requests to maildirs and
importing them into lists.sr.ht, though.

Also check this out:

https://sr.ht/~emersion/gh2srht/

On Sun Jul 17, 2022 at 5:24 PM CEST, Rene Schallner wrote:
> Now, my question: is there a good place to point people who are
> considering coming to sourcehut but are not convinced by the sourcehut
> "homepage" alone and need a bit more hand-holding?
>
> In a way, that's what I want to address with my wiki and point future
> potential colaborators (to my projects) to. But I wonder if there's
> something better out there already; better than my wiki :-).

It would be nice to have an independently maintained resource for
explaining how to migrate to SourceHut from various other platforms.
<CLI3IR1HXNDN.JH5VC5ZHYKGL@ryzen>
In-Reply-To
<CLI2V44P6J3J.35R6KMGTQRUEC@taiga> (view parent)
On Sun Jul 17, 2022 at 6:38 PM CEST, Drew DeVault wrote:
> Nice! You may want to consider converting pull requests to maildirs and
> importing them into lists.sr.ht, though.

Interesting! Are you suggesting making GH pull requests more useful by
converting them to e-mails?

To me, the old, closed pull requests aren't that important anymore. So I
don't mind them becoming closed tickets. What remains, are open pull
request at the time of migration.

I had the GH-addicted PR contributor in mind. With my approach, the PRs
and their comments get imported into a ticket that's labeled with "PULL
REQUEST": easy to filter for. The web interface for tickets on
todo.sr.ht is similar enough to how PRs are discussed on GH: an initial
text blob with comments below. So it's easy to point a contibutor to a
PR ticket where they will find a familiar environment.

Now with your suggested approach, I'd have to have PR contributors
subscribe to the new mailing list ahead of the migration or point them
to the web interface of the mailing list to find their PR and what's
happening with it.

So, from my point of view, it's easier to point them to the new ticket.
Am I missing something here? I probably am 😊.

> Also check this out:
>
> https://sr.ht/~emersion/gh2srht/

Thanks! Someone else, contributing to my wiki, already mentioned it.
That's awesome! Having even two migration tools really speaks for a
demand to move to SourceHut 😊! I have added it to the wiki (via their
patch).

> It would be nice to have an independently maintained resource for
> explaining how to migrate to SourceHut from various other platforms.

ACK!

Just so potential future contributors won't need to search for how to
reach me: the wiki has its own mailing list now:

https://lists.sr.ht/~renerocksai/come-to-sourcehut

Thanks again,
-Rene
<CLI3KR86Y58B.4E9SW58WJUJF@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CLI3IR1HXNDN.JH5VC5ZHYKGL@ryzen> (view parent)
On Sun Jul 17, 2022 at 7:09 PM CEST, Rene Schallner wrote:
> Interesting! Are you suggesting making GH pull requests more useful by
> converting them to e-mails?

Yep. It should be pretty easy to convert a pull request discussion into
a mail thread.

> Now with your suggested approach, I'd have to have PR contributors
> subscribe to the new mailing list ahead of the migration or point them
> to the web interface of the mailing list to find their PR and what's
> happening with it.
>
> So, from my point of view, it's easier to point them to the new ticket.
> Am I missing something here? I probably am 😊.

Not sure how I see it as being much different from sharing a link to a
mailing list thread. The mailing lists are much better suited to
long-form discussions and viewing and discussing patch diffs. It'll be
pretty cramped on todo, especially with larger patches. In fact, I
expect there are a lot of GitHub pull requests whose patch bodies will
exceed the maximum ticket body size.
<CLI3ROXKPB76.13CALC9S2V9C3@ryzen>
In-Reply-To
<CLI3KR86Y58B.4E9SW58WJUJF@taiga> (view parent)
On Sun Jul 17, 2022 at 7:12 PM CEST, Drew DeVault wrote:
> On Sun Jul 17, 2022 at 7:09 PM CEST, Rene Schallner wrote:
> > Interesting! Are you suggesting making GH pull requests more useful by
> > converting them to e-mails?
>
> Yep. It should be pretty easy to convert a pull request discussion into
> a mail thread.

Yes, I can see that.

> > So, from my point of view, it's easier to point them to the new ticket.
> > Am I missing something here? I probably am 😊.
>
> Not sure how I see it as being much different from sharing a link to a
> mailing list thread. The mailing lists are much better suited to
> long-form discussions and viewing and discussing patch diffs. It'll be
> pretty cramped on todo, especially with larger patches. In fact, I
> expect there are a lot of GitHub pull requests whose patch bodies will
> exceed the maximum ticket body size.

I agree with regards to all links being basically the same. I also agree
that mailing lists are better suited.

I think where my misunderstanding comes from, is: if I only convert what
GH gives me, there are no patches involved at all. It's a bit like a
`git request-pull` output, followed by comments. Because I use the
"issues" API (which also returns pull requests), any code review
activity, additional commits, etc are not part of what comes back from
the GH API.

So when converting, I only convert that: the pull request description
and the discussion that follows via comments. I don't actually fetch
anything from the remote repository. For closed PRs it might not even
exist anymore.

But now that I think that I see what you mean, I definitely agree that
PRs would become more useful if migrated to a mailing list! Good there's
always room for improvement!
<87h73fa9u0.fsf@city17.xyz>
In-Reply-To
<CLI3IR1HXNDN.JH5VC5ZHYKGL@ryzen> (view parent)
>> https://sr.ht/~emersion/gh2srht/
>
> Thanks! Someone else, contributing to my wiki, already mentioned it.
> That's awesome! Having even two migration tools really speaks for a
> demand to move to SourceHut 😊! I have added it to the wiki (via their
> patch).

I am also writing a (not published yet) migration tool for Github
issues+labels+comments, I didn't yet think on how to handle pull
requests, so this thread is interesting for me, too.

>> https://sr.ht/~emersion/gh2srht/

I've tried this tool and found a bit opaque the import function of
todo.sr.ht:
https://todo.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/todo.sr.ht/260

So I'm walking the way of the GraphQL API.
<CLLNT1I6IOFX.F2DDY2T2B8D8@ryzen>
In-Reply-To
<87h73fa9u0.fsf@city17.xyz> (view parent)
Sorry, my e-mail setup needs a re-work; your message got sent to the
spam folder.

On Sun Jul 17, 2022 at 7:59 PM CEST, jman wrote:
> I am also writing a (not published yet) migration tool for Github
> issues+labels+comments,

Awesome! Make sure to give us a heads up when it's ready!

> I didn't yet think on how to handle pull
> requests, so this thread is interesting for me, too.

On GH, the issues endpoint also returns pull requests. You get the PR
with its description, and the comments, just like other issues. For PR
specific info, code review stuff, etc you'd need to query the pull
request endpoint, though.

I don't need any of the PR specific info because these open PRs will be
a thing of the past relatively quickly anyway. Then they'll be closed
and their branches might get deleted by their authors anyway.

Hence, I only stick to the discussions on the PR. Mayyybe in the future,
when I have too much time, I'll look into interesting stuff to extract
from the PR endpoints.

> >> https://sr.ht/~emersion/gh2srht/
>
> I've tried this tool and found a bit opaque the import function of
> todo.sr.ht:
> https://todo.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/todo.sr.ht/260

That strikes me as a bit odd, too. Usually, I'd think not a lot can go
wrong - but I don't know anything about this interface, so that's why I
stuck to the GraphQL API.

> So I'm walking the way of the GraphQL API.

Same here. Caveat, though: it seems that with an import, you'd be able
to assign your own ticket IDs, as opposed to auto-incrementing ones with
the GraphQL method. This is important because GH discussions and PRs
live in the same ID space as tickets. If your first tickets have IDs 1,
3, 5 because 2 and 4 are assigned to a discussion and a PR, your SH
ticket IDs will still become 1, 2 3. This destroys ticket shortrefs like
"see also #27". This is why I translate the shortrefs in tickets and
comments to their corresponding new SH ticket IDs.

With an import, this issue might not arise.

Another important difference: creation time and author of comments on SH
(`ImportInput`) cannot be set. When trying, I get some "internal server
error" back. That's why I add this info to the body of the comments.
With an import, this issue is non-existent.

Just my 2 cents.
-Rene
<87k08095us.fsf@city17.xyz>
In-Reply-To
<CLLNT1I6IOFX.F2DDY2T2B8D8@ryzen> (view parent)
> it seems that with an import, you'd be able
> to assign your own ticket IDs, as opposed to auto-incrementing ones with
> the GraphQL method. (...) This destroys ticket shortrefs like
> "see also #27". This is why I translate the shortrefs in tickets and
> comments to their corresponding new SH ticket IDs.

Noted, but I think I can live with this. Your workaround sounds good enough
for the use case (imo).

> Another important difference: creation time and author of comments on SH
> (`ImportInput`) cannot be set. When trying, I get some "internal server
> error" back. That's why I add this info to the body of the comments.
> With an import, this issue is non-existent.

Confirmed, I get that error, too. And imo this is a bit more important.
I don't see any open ticket on todo.sr.ht about that, I think it's
appropriate to create one.

Drew: opinions?

Thanks Rene for the useful insights!

cheers
<CLPF3YYHC6WY.2GMS1Q4GSIAA6@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<87k08095us.fsf@city17.xyz> (view parent)
On Sat Jul 23, 2022 at 12:50 PM CEST, jman wrote:
> Confirmed, I get that error, too. And imo this is a bit more important.
> I don't see any open ticket on todo.sr.ht about that, I think it's
> appropriate to create one.
>
> Drew: opinions?
>
> Thanks Rene for the useful insights!

Yeah, please file a ticket (and ideally send a patch) for this issue.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)