Re: Improving Sourcehut design, accessibility and frontend code

<c61e3099-fc13-4156-8c7d-01f15b707c72@www.fastmail.com>
> I have no idea if that bootstrap can shine without JavaScript,
but I hope that sourcehut remains JavaScript free.

Bootstrap is normally used with jquery/JavaScript but it seems it
was removed by Drew when making Sourcehut. My proposal
isn't to change how sourcehut works, but to give it a coat of
paint.

> More polish on rough edges could be nice, but in general I
think it's in a good place.

I feel the same. It's more about polishing and giving alternatives.
Also it could be a way to organize and really defined the visual
language of sourcehut for people who want to use it or
expand it.

And technically, a way to organize code.

> Replacing them with a well-authored style like [what
Pygments provides][2] would be a nice improvement to ensure
consistency and legibility.

That probably could be its own project since it's probably more
technical than design.

> I am doubtful drew will approve of this, but it's impossible to judge
without mockups. What changes to the style are you suggesting?

On the top of my mind:

- Try to create a visual identity to Sourcehut. Outside of the logo
there is almost nothing that characterize the project.
- A more intentional and readable color palette that would allow
making themes.
- More coherent spacings to group and separate things so it's
more easy to scan information. Should be themable too, to have
something like a compact mode.
- More coherent font sizes and typography, again to help with
readability.
- Overall make it more polished and unique in its own way.

> I believe Drew has a custom-built CSS framework in progress at
[~/sircmpwn/antiweb][3], though it's not finished.

I'm not sure as this project aims to support browsers like IE6 or
netscape. Those browsers could only work with super basic
HTML and CSS. Current Sourcehut uses flexbox for layout, which
adoption is from the mid 2010.

Re: Improving Sourcehut design, accessibility and frontend code

<BAEBAB02-AE2D-4C8D-9A0F-2CCF4C0F4430@nxg.name>
In-Reply-To
<c61e3099-fc13-4156-8c7d-01f15b707c72@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
On 17 Dec 2021, at 14:26, Thomasorus wrote:

>> I am doubtful drew will approve of this, but it's impossible to judge
>> without mockups. What changes to the style are you suggesting?
>
> On the top of my mind:
>
> - Try to create a visual identity to Sourcehut. Outside of the logo
> there is almost nothing that characterize the project.
> - A more intentional and readable color palette that would allow
> making themes.
> - More coherent spacings to group and separate things so it's
> more easy to scan information. Should be themable too, to have
> something like a compact mode.
> - More coherent font sizes and typography, again to help with
> readability.
> - Overall make it more polished and unique in its own way.

+1 to all this.  I like 'spartan', but 'spartan design' doesn't mean 'no
design', and it's just as hard to do well as is 'gaudy'.

Incidentally, I'm surprised there's any mention of JavaScript here.  In
these days of CSS -- indeed CSS 2! -- there's surely little need for
that in a webpage design.  Or am I missing something?

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk