Re: [Discussion]: Note taking service

<c7162dd5-5cda-4e74-8b69-a99eb2d1d757@www.fastmail.com>
I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but ideally any note taking service would support the CalDAV protocol[1]. That way existing systems could automatically integrate with the service (for example, both iOS and macOS support CalDAV out of the box for the notes apps).

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV

Re: [Discussion]: Note taking service

<696bc329-f9cb-45cd-b965-5c16545dfffd@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<c7162dd5-5cda-4e74-8b69-a99eb2d1d757@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Hello Euan,

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, at 12:53, Euan Torano wrote:
> I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but ideally any note taking service would support the CalDAV protocol[1]. That way >existing systems could automatically integrate with the service (for example, both iOS and macOS support CalDAV out of the >box for the notes apps).
>
> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV

I'm not sure I understand how one would use CalDAV for notes besides of calendar operations. Perhaps you mean to suggest WebDAV*?

Best,

Charles.
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

Re: [Discussion]: Note taking service

<72AA5DAD-D296-46A9-A46F-E6F74CD47C11@traduction-libre.org>
In-Reply-To
<696bc329-f9cb-45cd-b965-5c16545dfffd@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)

> On Nov 7, 2019, at 21:26, Charles-H. Schulz <chs@adocentyn.io> wrote:
>
> Hello Euan,
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, at 12:53, Euan Torano wrote:
>> I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but ideally any note taking service would support the CalDAV protocol[1]. That way >existing systems could automatically integrate with the service (for example, both iOS and macOS support CalDAV out of the >box for the notes apps).
>>
>> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV
>>
> I'm not sure I understand how one would use CalDAV for notes besides of calendar operations. Perhaps you mean to suggest WebDAV*?

CalDAV is an extension of WebDAV that covers a lot of components (check rfc5545) including journal entries.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Re: [Discussion]: Note taking service

<aaf941d2-65fb-45af-a1c1-f39d31a85126@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<72AA5DAD-D296-46A9-A46F-E6F74CD47C11@traduction-libre.org> (view parent)

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, at 13:35, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> > On Nov 7, 2019, at 21:26, Charles-H. Schulz <chs@adocentyn.io> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Euan,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, at 12:53, Euan Torano wrote:
> >> I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but ideally any note taking service would support the CalDAV protocol[1]. That way >existing systems could automatically integrate with the service (for example, both iOS and macOS support CalDAV out of the >box for the notes apps).
> >>
> >> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV
> >>
> > I'm not sure I understand how one would use CalDAV for notes besides of calendar operations. Perhaps you mean to >>suggest WebDAV*?
>
> CalDAV is an extension of WebDAV that covers a lot of components (check rfc5545) including journal entries.

Indeed - I've learned something today.

Thank you,

Charles.

> Jean-Christophe Helary
> http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

Re: [Discussion]: Note taking service

Ruben Schuller
<20191107231331.761be17b@kiwi.kuchen>
In-Reply-To
<72AA5DAD-D296-46A9-A46F-E6F74CD47C11@traduction-libre.org> (view parent)
hi,

just my 2 cents:

<jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>:

> CalDAV is an extension of WebDAV that covers a lot of components
> (check rfc5545) including journal entries.

looking at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CalDAV_and_CardDAV_implementations#Client_implementations
there is only one client listed which implements journal entries.
cal/card-dav are enormously complex (https://radicale.org/about/), and
i'd doubt that one wants to pull in the whole stack for taking notes
when the respective protocol isn't even well supported.

for alternatives to a web-frontend for note taking, i'd vote for
something which uses mail. this would would in effect be a mailing
list i guess.. ;)

i fear this is more of a client side problem.

cheers
ruben
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)