~skeeto/public-inbox

Re: inquiring about internship

<20200613174710.m63p6zxnmgykn6n3@nullprogram.com>
Hi, Amol. I'm glad to hear you've taken an interest in C and that my
blog has helped you along that path. As you know, C is far from
obsolete, and anyone saying otherwise doesn't see the larger picture.
Not only is C still foundational to a greater degree than any other
language, it remains *the* most popular programming language in the
world to this day (recently overtaking Java again in the Tiobe index):

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

So you can cite that for anyone who doubts it. In case you hadn't seen
it yet, this one of my favorite papers about C and its importance:

Some Were Meant for C
https://skeeto.s3.amazonaws.com/share/onward17-essays2.pdf

So learning C will put you at a great advantage over your peers who
mistakenly dismiss it it as obsolete or irrelevant.

As for mentoring, I must turn you down. I do my mentoring in person
(current circumstances excepted) through a program run by my employer.
This is in large part because they provide support: handle paperwork,
provide physical resources including computers, facility, and space,
etc. Besides, I have my hands full at the moment. If you have a
specific, well-considered question, I can answer it for you or at least
point you in the right direction.

As with learning anything, it's all about practice practice practice.
*Deliberate* practice. It's by far the most important thing you can do.
Write lots of C, and try to do it correctly since that takes greater
care and understanding. Learn how to program without Googling your
problems. Instead become comfortable with navigating and understanding
the documentation yourself (man pages, specification, etc.). Study code
written by knowledgable programmers. Examples for C are the Linux
kernel, BSD source trees, and SQLite. Fill in the remaining gaps with
books and articles, though be careful about what you trust.

Good luck!
Export thread (mbox)