~skeeto/public-inbox

Conventions for Command Line Options

Ralph Doncaster
<CAAmKpLHo0rAhmgWkR5+F-c875-QyaqLtirZH4iUypx4p8zExAQ@mail.gmail.com>
One thing I think is missing from the discussion is generation of
options help like the help argument in python's optparse add_option.
I try to keep documentation in the code as much as possible, as it's
easy for the two to get out of sync when there is no nexus between
them.  More than once I've used an open-source tool that had changed
options in the code, but not in the "--help" output.

I like your optparse library, and my initial thought is to fork and
add a help string to the optparse_long struct, and add a print_help
function.

What are your thoughts on how to handle -h/--help?
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)