~skeeto/public-inbox

1

Re: Four Ways to Compile C for Windows

Tomás Ortí
<CAJXgceH2DsQ_n-o8=B0Nvmgos4=ZsXa6RhCZXDAygLV1GuzVsw@mail.gmail.com>
Regarding this part of your post :

>Debugging is a major problem. Visual C++ outputs separate .pdb program database files, which aren’t usable >from GDB. Visual Studio has a built-in debugger, though it’s not included in the standalone Visual C++ build >tools. I’m still searching for a decent debugging solution for this scenario. I tried WinDbg, but I can’t stand it.

Specifically this sentence:
>I’m still searching for a decent debugging solution for this scenario

There is currently a new debugger kid in town.
It is named RemedyBG:
https://remedybg.handmade.network/
Coming directly from Handmade movement.
I will probably be testing it soon.

Great blog which I used to read in the past.
And have come back to it today.

Best Regards from Spain.
Tom.

Re: Four Ways to Compile C for Windows

<20200417164906.2bkqrcuy7rxowrmo@nullprogram.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJXgceH2DsQ_n-o8=B0Nvmgos4=ZsXa6RhCZXDAygLV1GuzVsw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Thanks for the tip! I've been observing RemedyBG from afar via Handmade
Hero, including Casey's recent entertaining rant about Visual Studio
vs. RemedyBG:

Twitter and Visual Studio Rant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-0tCy4P1U

I appreciate that someone's taken the time to build a good replacement.
Though for me personally, I will probably continue to use the Visual
Studio compiler not so much as an active development tool, but just for
building finished and already-debugged software.