~skeeto/public-inbox

2

Re: Assertions should be more debugger oriented

Michael Kleehammer <michael@kleehammer.com>
<CAJmVnVJyjvcq9SZqoGD8FRrtC4pytEh5p-K-0CHYQA6tk_yZ9A@mail.gmail.com>
I couldn't agree more.  If you have never read the original printing
of Writing Solid Code, I highly recommend it.   The subtitle might
surprise you, but it was back when some people at Microsoft were very
good at  their jobs.

You can only get the first printing in paperback, but they did finally
reprint for Kindle and epub.  The new one isn't as good (though may be
better for those not fluent in C).

Re: Assertions should be more debugger oriented

<20220627224324.mtqmfw4hh4uzsaku@nullprogram.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJmVnVJyjvcq9SZqoGD8FRrtC4pytEh5p-K-0CHYQA6tk_yZ9A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I hadn't heard of this book before, but I'll check it out. Thanks,
Michael!

Re: Assertions should be more debugger oriented

<20220702184720.ffcb6zau7k5uwtmo@nullprogram.com>
In-Reply-To
<20220627224324.mtqmfw4hh4uzsaku@nullprogram.com> (view parent)
Quick followup: Simply searching for the title readily produces a 1st
edition PDF, which is exactly what I wanted. I have since finished reading
it, and I was very impressed. Your recommendation was sound and on point!

I don't agree with everything — particularly parts of the candy-machine
interfaces chapter — but overall it's full of great, practical advice.
It's provided me with more techniques for automatically findings bugs, and
I'm sure I'll be putting some of it into practice in the future.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)