~skeeto/public-inbox

1

elfeed: tag completion and automatic updates

Tzafrir Cohen
<YP83UOnjKHEr9BN1@malaclypse.cohens.org.il>

I recently decided to try elfeed. I'm not familiar with Emacs and thus
I may miss some obvious Emacs features so bear with me.

My initial impression is good. I think I got the hang of the interface.
Hopefully.

There are some things I miss:

* Automatic feed updates. I can press G occasionally, but it is not
  something I should do.

Is there a standard way to automate this? I can figure out several
potential mechanisms (cron / systemd timer calling a headless emacs, or
maybe emacs has its own timers I could use?)

* Tab completion for names of tags

I use a separate tag per feed, and some common ones (I'm not sure how
I'll use them). In a standard graphical feed reader, feeds are put in
folders and this allows browsing them. Elfeed does not have that and
thus I cannot browse my feeds.

This is fine for just viewing new items. But not good enough for
searching for old items. I don't want to have to remember how I type
tag names.

I would have expected that in the search prompt, after a '+' or '-'
I would have tab completion for tag names. Am I missing anything
obvious?

-- Tzafrir
Tzafrir Cohen
<YQDrFuvWbNApSzcQ@malaclypse.cohens.org.il>
In-Reply-To
<YP83UOnjKHEr9BN1@malaclypse.cohens.org.il> (view parent)
After some more research:

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 01:29:36AM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> * Automatic feed updates. I can press G occasionally, but it is not
>   something I should do.
>
> Is there a standard way to automate this? I can figure out several
> potential mechanisms (cron / systemd timer calling a headless emacs, or
> maybe emacs has its own timers I could use?)

I found something that appears to be an answer in an open issue whose
title didn't seem related enough to me:
https://github.com/skeeto/elfeed/pull/424

If this works, I thinks it belongs in some proper documentation.

> * Tab completion for names of tags

I see https://github.com/skeeto/elfeed/pull/424
(PR from several months ago with no comments).

I guess I'll have to figure how to install from git (currently using a
deb package).

> -- Tzafrir
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)