~srpen6

Recent activity

Re: links to source code 404 9 days ago

From Zombo to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

I just noticed this too. If you go to this page:

https://godocs.io/runtime/race

You see this link:

https://github.com/golang/go/blob/v1.17.6/src/runtime//race/doc.go

which is wrong for a couple of reasons. Firstly, double slash should
not exist. Second, the version number is wrong, here is correct link:

https://github.com/golang/go/blob/go1.17.6/src/runtime/race/doc.go

Re: Missing function a month ago

From Steven Penny to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

Did the builtin patch get overlooked? I still dont see it on the docs page

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM Adnan Maolood <me@adnano.co> wrote:

> On Mon Nov 22, 2021 at 2:04 PM EST, Steven Penny wrote:
> > More:
> >
> > https://pkg.go.dev/builtin#append
> >
> > https://godocs.io/builtin#append
>
> Ah, there is an issue with the builtin package. I've sent a patch to fix
> it.

spec page a month ago

From Steven Penny to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

this works:
https://go.dev/ref/spec

this does not:
https://godocs.io/ref/spec

Re: Missing function 2 months ago

From Steven Penny to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 1:00 PM Adnan Maolood <me@adnano.co> wrote:

> This was fixed, but the fix had not been deployed yet. It should work
> now. Thanks for reporting.

Re: Link to source code 2 months ago

From Steven Penny to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 11:00 AM Adnan Maolood wrote:
> To be fair, GitHub *has* implemented support for the go-import meta tag
> to support the fetching of Go packages. Try visiting a repository with
> the URL query ?go-get=1 and look for the meta tag
>
> I think it is still worth a shot to get a standard adopted by the
> mainstream.

Doing what you said, I get this:

    https://github.com/BurntSushi/toml.git">

Re: Link to source code 2 months ago

From Steven Penny to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 2:18 AM Drew DeVault wrote:
> I would be opposed to any move which gives preferential treatment to any
> forge, least of all a proprietary forge.
>
> It would be better to try to move the language-agnostic metadata
> proposal forward.

I mean I respect this viewpoint, but Go is not a new language anymore. If GitHub
was going to do this, they would have done it already. I can go voice my support
on the GitHub issue in question, but I dont even know where that is.

So if you want to stick to your guns on this, of course thats your choice, but
youre essentially dooming yourself to never have links to source for any GitHub
repos. If youre OK with that, then more power to you, but I think we should at

Re: Link to source code 2 months ago

From Steven Penny to ~sircmpwn/godocs.io

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM Adnan Maolood wrote:
> The reason this happens is because GitHub doesn't serve the go-source
> meta tag required for linking to documentation. Until they do so, we
> would have to hardcode the necessary logic for GitHub.

I think expecting GitHub to do some Go specific thing, is expecting too much.
They have a huge site, and they cant be expected to cater to every single
languages needs, even a language as big as Go.

> This might be worth it since many Go packages are hosted on GitHub, but
> ideally we wouldn't need to do this.

If you only consider Go modules with 1,000 stars or more, thats still over 2,000
repositories we are talking about: