2 2

Plans for 0.2.0

<878t0azc6e.fsf@hagelb.org>
There's been a lot of development on Fennel in the past few weeks! We're
about due for another release before too long. We've got this already on
master:

* Add `match` macro for pattern matching
* Add optional GNU readline support for repl
* Fix a bug where runtime errors were not reported by launcher correctly
* Allow repl to recover gracefully from parse errors
* A man page

With open work to implement these things:

* Support key/value tables when destructuring
* Quote and unquote
* -?> and -?>> for nil-safe threading

In particular the addition of quote/unquote makes writing macros much
more pleasant! We may revisit the existing macros once that lands to use
quoting so they serve as better examples of good style.

Any other ideas for what we might want to include in the next release?
Or questions about the above?

-Phil
<87muocxmoo.fsf@hagelb.org>
In-Reply-To
<878t0azc6e.fsf@hagelb.org> (view parent)
Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:

> Any other ideas for what we might want to include in the next release?
> Or questions about the above?

A friend of mine is a debian developer who's considering packaging
Fennel in the upcoming Debian Buster release, which has a freeze in a
week or two.

If we could cut a release of Fennel 0.2.0 it would make it easier for
her to do this. Is there anything else that should be considered for the
release?

Calvin: I was assuming you'd want to do the release, but I can handle it
too if you don't mind me signing the tag and if you give me access to
the Luarocks package. (username is technomancy)

-Phil
<20190107205015.GA25938@calvin-p51.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<87muocxmoo.fsf@hagelb.org> (view parent)
On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 12:00:39PM -0800, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:
>
> > Any other ideas for what we might want to include in the next release?
> > Or questions about the above?
>
> A friend of mine is a debian developer who's considering packaging
> Fennel in the upcoming Debian Buster release, which has a freeze in a
> week or two.
>
> If we could cut a release of Fennel 0.2.0 it would make it easier for
> her to do this. Is there anything else that should be considered for the
> release?
>
> Calvin: I was assuming you'd want to do the release, but I can handle it
> too if you don't mind me signing the tag and if you give me access to
> the Luarocks package. (username is technomancy)
>
> -Phil

I can do the release, no problem. I think one good thing to get in for
2.0 is to check if Fennel works on windows (I recall someone in irc
saying they were having trouble on windows). Although I've never used
Lua on windows, I can certainly try play with Fennel on windows in the
next few days if needed, unless someone can vouch that they've got it
working. This isn't a priority, but would be nice to get it before the
next versioned release.

- Calvin