~vdupras/collapseos

1

Application software development

<CAO2cP5sHUCBhePMXAgWhr8T4qHbx_ZXKsnv1cC9KWGadJ4b_hQ@mail.gmail.com>
I came across Collapse OS while I was searching for projects related
to Forth programming and minimalist computer systems. It looks really
interesting! I've been playing around with Collapse OS's cvm for a
while today.

As I was reading through the project roadmap on the webpage, I noticed
that there wasn't much by way of application software mentioned there.
Something in that vein that I immediately wanted after loading up the
cvm was some kind of pager for quickly scrolling through the blkfs
blocks. It gets tedious typing "N LIST" over and over when I just want
to step through the blocks in order for a while.

Is there a recommended procedure for the aspiring Collapse OS
application developer? If I made some tools to run in Collapse OS,
would I write the source for them directly into the blkfs file? Or
could I create a second file representing a new disk? This seems like
a fun environment to practice writing Forth applications in, but I'm
curious if there are any established practices yet for how to go about
it.

Thanks,
Dustin Rawlings
<20200722175324.GA49505@tocqueville>
In-Reply-To
<CAO2cP5sHUCBhePMXAgWhr8T4qHbx_ZXKsnv1cC9KWGadJ4b_hQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 06:16:34AM -1000, Dustin Rawlings wrote:
> As I was reading through the project roadmap on the webpage, I noticed
> that there wasn't much by way of application software mentioned there.

Because the scope of Collapse OS is very narrow, I'm not planning on having a
very large set of applications in it. That being said, it doesn't mean that
there aren't worthwhile apps left to develop. For example, a hex editor would
be very handy. But no, there's nothing on the roadmap regarding applications.

> Something in that vein that I immediately wanted after loading up the
> cvm was some kind of pager for quickly scrolling through the blkfs
> blocks. It gets tedious typing "N LIST" over and over when I just want
> to step through the blocks in order for a while.

If you look at the Editor (B100) and Visual Editor (B120), you'll see that
they already make block navigation significantly easier.

> Is there a recommended procedure for the aspiring Collapse OS
> application developer? If I made some tools to run in Collapse OS,
> would I write the source for them directly into the blkfs file? Or
> could I create a second file representing a new disk? This seems like
> a fun environment to practice writing Forth applications in, but I'm
> curious if there are any established practices yet for how to go about
> it.

There are two ways of working within Collapse OS: inwards or outwards. If you're
keen on having a "genuine post-collapse" experience, you can modify blocks from
within Collapse OS, using the Visual Editor, and then use the "make unpack"
command in "cvm/" to copy your changes to the numbered files. Be careful not
to run "make pack" or else you'll overwrite your changes!

If you prefer to take things easy, you can edit numbered blocks in your favorite
editor and then use "make pack" to build a new blkfs. You can create new files
in "blkfs/" and "make pack" will pick them up automatically.

If, by your question, you wanted to ask whether there was a predefined spot
where it would be better to place a new app for eventual inclusion in Collapse
OS, there is none. I'm not even sure where to place new stuff I write. This
would need to be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

Regards,
Virgil
Export thread (mbox)